King Tut's dagger was forged from meteorite

All the greatest warriors of history had a sword made of meteorite, Genghis Khan, Conan, Terry Pratchett…

9 Likes

You send me a big enough iron/nickel meteorite, and I’ll forge one out for you (provided that there’s enough meteorite to make two, one for me to keep as well). I’ve worked all sorts of materials into damascus (shovels, nails, cable, wagon wheel iron, etc…), but never meteorite because of the prohibitive cost.

This one’s over 1K layers with a straight “double” hamon. Made it fer me dear 'pa.

20 Likes

That. Is. Beautiful.

5 Likes

So if a breadknife is for cutting bread, and a steak knife is for cutting steak, what do you use a “dadknife” for exactly?

13 Likes

Serving up puns.

17 Likes

Oh you’re a knife maker?

Neat! I have a friend who makes swords and knives. Pretty decent stuff for a fair value. My biggest criticism is that he doesn’t always polish out all the imperfections, but that is why his prices are cheaper, when he doesn’t add the several hours needed to buff every little thing out. But when it comes to his swords they are very well balanced, light, and made to cut real things.

Anyway, I have been meaning to take pics of my dagger. I need to polish the hilt first, though. I will post it soon if I can.

2 Likes

So, uh, are you taking orders? I need a new chefs knife :smiley:

2 Likes

Also ancient smiths had fewer qualms re: working with arsenic.

I find myself suddenly wanting a bismuth bronze chisel. For reasons.

1 Like

The Narn Regime formally protests the blatant pro-Centauri bias on the History Channel!

9 Likes

I don’t know diddly about iron from meteorites, but that’s some very nice woodworking there!

1 Like

I need a new ritual sacrificial dagger…

6 Likes

Long story, which doesn’t really need to be shared here, but I’ll just say that it was made as a remembrance gift with a lot of the materials that went into it having emotional significance for my Dad. Thus the name of the file. It was a gift for Dad (who is still around, and seems to like it).

6 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. I tend to go for the high polish/high fit and finish things, but I can appreciate the “rough” finish utility stuff too. One of my favorite blades is an integral wakizashi left with a rough polished edge and a “blacksmith finish” spine that a friend made for me. It’s a gardening workhorse!

2 Likes

Potayto potahto.

I think it is because his clients mostly are people at ren fairs and such. Thus he has to price accordingly. I am always surprised at how affordable these hand forged swords and such are. Getting something 95% of the way there is good enough for most people. I have seen some of his custom commissions and they have all the little imperfections buffed out.

Fun fact - Terry Goodkind’s brother commissioned him to make the Sword of Truth, from the same titled book series.

Anyway, post more stuff sometime. I really want a katana some day, but will probably opt for a Paul Chen or something similar. Serviceable, but I just can’t afford something “real”.

Sounds like you should be posting in the Making thread. :octopus: (Assuming you’re not already and I haven’t just forgotten.)

2 Likes

Beautifully done!

1 Like

If you can afford the hundreds that a Paul Chen/Hanwei runs, then save a bit longer for the ~$2k that a “real” blade will cost you. You can get some really nice custom work for a bit more than the factory stuff will run. Not all custom blades run in the tens of thousands.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.