King Tut's dagger was forged from meteorite

Ancient hardening processes for bronze are interesting. The initial annealing step is the opposite of steel - instead of very slowly bringing the metal down from a near-melting heat, you quench it. This would make steel hard and brittle, but it anneals bronze. Then you carefully pack the metal with a hammer to reduce its physical size and force the metal into an optimal grain, very much like the way a metal tool’s edge gets work hardened, only with more planning and control.

Or at least that’s what the guys who do it tell me… I have still not assembled my own bronze forge, although I built the shop for it and have all the equipment required… There’s always something else that has to be done right now it seems… :frowning:

7 Likes

Didn’t the assyrians do the same for pretty much that reason? IE noticing meteoritic iron is better than what they’re pulling out of the ground.

Nazis grab Tibetan Buddhist statue made from meteorite iron… (though other articles say it might be of modern manufacture).

3 Likes

I think I heard somewhere that James Black (May 1, 1800 -June 22, 1872) made Jim Bowie’s famous Bowie knife of meteorite iron?

It bypasses hardness and does an extra 1d6 damage to extraplanar creatures.

10 Likes

I want one of those, but will have to settle for using cutting dust from a meteorite, mixing it with resin, and packing it into a mold; I have plans for a run of dice from that method. An unclassified stone meteorite might do, if you have access to lapidary equipment; it would be much less expensive. I have to look up that particular iron meteorite (Kharga).

Enso: Paging Dr. Jones, Dr. Henry Jones Jr. to the white courtesy phone, please…

3 Likes

Giving him superpowers far beyond a normal boy king god!

3 Likes

The aliens-built-the-pyramids crackpots are going to have a field day with this.

9 Likes

All the greatest warriors of history had a sword made of meteorite, Genghis Khan, Conan, Terry Pratchett…

9 Likes

You send me a big enough iron/nickel meteorite, and I’ll forge one out for you (provided that there’s enough meteorite to make two, one for me to keep as well). I’ve worked all sorts of materials into damascus (shovels, nails, cable, wagon wheel iron, etc…), but never meteorite because of the prohibitive cost.

This one’s over 1K layers with a straight “double” hamon. Made it fer me dear 'pa.

20 Likes

That. Is. Beautiful.

5 Likes

So if a breadknife is for cutting bread, and a steak knife is for cutting steak, what do you use a “dadknife” for exactly?

13 Likes

Serving up puns.

17 Likes

Oh you’re a knife maker?

Neat! I have a friend who makes swords and knives. Pretty decent stuff for a fair value. My biggest criticism is that he doesn’t always polish out all the imperfections, but that is why his prices are cheaper, when he doesn’t add the several hours needed to buff every little thing out. But when it comes to his swords they are very well balanced, light, and made to cut real things.

Anyway, I have been meaning to take pics of my dagger. I need to polish the hilt first, though. I will post it soon if I can.

2 Likes

So, uh, are you taking orders? I need a new chefs knife :smiley:

2 Likes

Also ancient smiths had fewer qualms re: working with arsenic.

I find myself suddenly wanting a bismuth bronze chisel. For reasons.

1 Like

The Narn Regime formally protests the blatant pro-Centauri bias on the History Channel!

9 Likes

I don’t know diddly about iron from meteorites, but that’s some very nice woodworking there!

1 Like

I need a new ritual sacrificial dagger…

6 Likes

Long story, which doesn’t really need to be shared here, but I’ll just say that it was made as a remembrance gift with a lot of the materials that went into it having emotional significance for my Dad. Thus the name of the file. It was a gift for Dad (who is still around, and seems to like it).

6 Likes