Kirk Cameron, Christian Reconstructionism, and The Homeschool Revolution

Pre-identifying a child as ‘Christian’, especially a child who has not yet matured enough mentally to make up their mind about belief in god is the ultimate in self-marginalizing behavior. These people believe in dominion because they fear other people’s agency. But of course, they always know better. Let’s check in when the kids are late teens early 20s. Peace be to them. Poor kids.

18 Likes

I don’t believe you’re here in good faith, you threw down a flash-bang and left. I’m assuming you’re going to tell others about how evil this place is now?

25 Likes

I home schooled my kiddo from the age of 3.5 to 1st grade. Mainly because she was hungry as a learner and wanted to read at a young age. She currently does online learning from an accredited Christian school at her mother’s house.

Your children are educated on how sex works (hopefully). It isn’t the schools’ place to dictate what is morally correct. That is where you, as a parent, would inject your morals. Learning shouldn’t be solely at school.

I think you mean that there are different sexual orientations and gender identities. That is the reality of the world. And they are born that way - as you say, “their identity is from God who created them.”

I mean, you’re taking one specific sentence targeted at Christian Dominionist and acting like it was directed at you. Nothing you have said has lead me to believe that you are one of them. Nor is the comment directed at other home schoolers, Christian or otherwise.

The general vibe here - with disagreements on some things - is generally anti-authoritarian.

But for sure, there are Christian Nationalists, Dominionists, and other right-wing Evangelicals who are very - very Authoritarian. That is what the ire of this post is directed at.

31 Likes

He’s just another washed-up has-been who is circulating through the fundie-evangie circuit because one of their cults is the cult of celebrity.

Nothing to see here.

#NeverVoteRepublican - they worship guns, violence, hatred, and profit
#TaxTheChurches - see #NeverVoteRepublican

17 Likes

If your brave Christian soldiering hasn’t moved onwards, I just want to ask what kind of example that you and/or your co-religionists (e.g. Cameron) think you’re setting for your kids by supporting (or, if you aren’t participating in politics, passively enabling) the continued presidential ambitions of an openly adulterous worshipper of Mammon.

I’m probably not as up to date on reading my scripture as you are, so I’d be fascinated to hear the Biblical justification for this.

25 Likes

Can we say America Taliban? I knew you could.

15 Likes

I used to read the website and watch the videos of Kirk Cameron’s partner-in-crime Ray Comfort (they often did joint videos). I was always struck by how completely dishonest it all was. Consistently, as part of the proselytizing, they would lie about what non-theists believed, and they would grossly and consistently misrepresent what science said. Comfort would claim he “knew” what the science was, misstate it, people would correct him - and he would interact with them online, so you knew he saw their corrections - and then he’d go right back to saying things he knew weren’t true - i.e. lying.

Lately I’ve been thinking about how this is not a good look for his proselytizing or his religion. He’s indicating that the only way he can advance his views is by lying, and that these lies thus therefore be fundamental to his beliefs as well. Grotesque politics aside, it’s so absolutely damning of the whole worldview, implying that it cannot withstand the truth.

They’re so easy to dunk on, because they’re sometimes already unintentional comedy (e.g. the whole banana thing), when they’re not being nasty or intellectually dishonest.

A friend used to teach at a technical college that had a fair number of kids who were homeschooled for religious reasons. He could always identify them, as their whole notion of academics was that they should engage in rote memorization and regurgitation of texts. No ability to engage in any sort of analysis, much less did they have any critical thinking skills.

“I want to find out if you are an authoritarian brute…”

That’s projection.

I was pretty amused to see the bit of Trump’s speech at the recent NRA convention where the twice-divorced adulterer blamed “broken homes” for violence.

38 Likes

Tell that to all the Christian dominionists out there trying to ban abortion, dismantle gay rights, end interracial marriage, oppress trans people, get guns into the hands of children, and otherwise “bring about the end times”. This is hardly what I call “minding their own business”. This is zero sum radical fundamentalism where one side “wins” and the other “loses” — and it’s the other side who’s actually “minding their own business”.

Is this what you believe:

If not, then this seems more like projection than a statement directed at you.

Seems an awful lot like despite saying that you’re “not forcing anybody to learn about Jesus” that you’re doing exactly that with your children.

The systems put in place to educate the children of your community are in decline, so you decide to pull up stakes and flee? WWJD?

31 Likes

Oh, excuse the pun, christ! More Gilead advocates.

8 Likes

I sure wouldn’t want to depend on work by an alternate engineer or doctor.

17 Likes

I really don’t like that question. No one living today has met Jesus in person, so that question is more like What Would the model of Jesus I’ve built in my head Do?

Instead, let’s look at the perspective of a good man that people alive today had met and interacted with. Let’s look at the corpus of words he’s known to have written and spoken. Ask if your words or deeds would be appropriate for a resident in Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.

20 Likes

This fucking human banana. Just look at him.

20 Likes

Promoting homeschooling might seem at first glance innocent enough—and homeschooling itself doesn’t inherently belong to only one political or religious ideology. In fact, there have been plenty of progressive and left-leaning versions of homeschooling or unschooling (see A. S. Neill and his Summerhill school movements, for example) that have been enacted for at least a century.

This is true. The main issue is that the Xtianists have infiltrated and co-opted the homeschooling industry to the extent that it is very difficult for Americans to find well-supported and widely used curricula and text packages that don’t overtly or covertly promote conservative religious values.

The Xtianists who run these companies lobby state politicians hard to support the claim that their products are compliant with K-12 educational standards, even when the results indicate otherwise. And, as always, the main goal is to funnel as much public funding as possible into religious education in defiance of the Establishment Clause.

All of which is to say, Cameron and his fellow Xtianist grifters didn’t produce this documentary out of a pure love of homeschooling. Like any “Hollywood” producer, they’re expecting a return on investment, even if it comes from merch sales rather than box office receipts.

26 Likes

Same here. The state audited a local religious school when three transfer students failed the core competency testing so badly that one was placed three grade levels below where she should’ve been at her age. I can only hope that there are some measures in place to make sure homeschool teachers are meeting state standards for their kids.

So, Liberty University wasn’t enough for these folks? :roll_eyes:

he has moved “from the belief that the reign of Christ would be ushered in by the end-times” to a belief that “the end-times would precede his reign.” No longer are Cameron and his ilk waiting around for the rapture. He is increasingly critiquing rapture theology and urging Christians to become more active in ushering in a “Christian nation.”

This part of the post jumped out at me. My issue with Kirk Cameron and leaders like him is they embody a type of toxic mediocrity that has been spreading in industry, government, and religion. It’s this attitude that if the rules don’t suit them, just change the rules or cheat. That folks like this are attacking educational institutions doesn’t surprise me, because learning requires effort. They don’t have the patience for that, because most talk the talk when it comes to hard work and difficult choices but they don’t walk the walk*.

They cannot tolerate the idea that they aren’t in control. The idea of living in a place run by women, BIPOC, or anyone they consider to be different from themselves leads them into a frenzy of fear and rage. They claim that they want to protect women and children, but will sacrifice both to maintain their sense of power and privilege. We’re living through what I hope is their last desperate attempt to use their religion to control everyone else or destroy the world through their selfishness and greed.

*Just like those bastards in the GOP who were full of advice about parents needing to send their kids to in-person school during the worst of the pandemic, Kirk Cameron’s kids are all grown. So, he has no skin in the game beyond telling other people what to do with their children.

35 Likes

I don’t disagree with this. The reason I said this was this person professes to be a Christian, yet they don’t seem to be practicing much in the way of Christian values making my “question” largely rhetorical.

I don’t actually expect this person to come back and engage in any discussion at this point, good faith or otherwise.

26 Likes

How many times have we seen this?

25 Likes

This whole thing was just a hit and run.

9 Likes

In addition to trying to avoid the effort, they also understand that true learning requires that the student gains critical-thinking skills. Since such skills lead to the questioning of authority and of superstitious beliefs this is an unacceptable outcome for them.

Rote learning thus both eliminates the intellectual heavy lifting you describe (while still producing HS graduates) and helps protect and preserve their power structures.

21 Likes

That poster was like a fart in a hurricane, enough of a stink to get your attention, then it’s gone and you have bigger problems to worry about.

13 Likes

Everything is political. To say that you are uninterested in politics, is to say that you are happy with the status quo; a political stance in itself.

27 Likes