Kitchen shears to spatchcock a chicken

my understanding is the “spatch” in spatchcock comes from “dispatch”, and that spatchcock is Britspeak for how a chicken or other bird would be quickly prepared to be roasted and eaten in the field after you just shot the thing while hunting

8 Likes

If the blades separate easily then even sharpening them oneself shouldn’t be too difficult. shears, scissors, and the like typically only have a single angle ground edge and are quite easy to sharpen.

1 Like

Mine detach into halves so I can sharpen as if each were a knife.

Just read where others are saying the same… happy cooking everyone!

2 Likes

Note: Don’t attempt on live chicken.

4 Likes

Bring it!

12 Likes

Knife’s faster.

2 Likes

@Akimbo_NOT …mmmmm smoked troutduckin

@kaibeezytentroy glad it isn’t called dispatch-cock.

5 Likes

Only a truly lily-livered milquetoast wimp would eschew an opportunity to say spatchcock.

2 Likes

“Arr, belay that scuttlebutt, fetch me a snatch block, and lash the spatchcock to the jackstaff.”

9 Likes

I can almost smell the barnacles!

3 Likes

They’re clearing up. I got some new ointment.

3 Likes

These are currently listing for $10.99. Why is having black handles worth $3 more than the red-handled ones at $7.99?

The ones with blue handles are $12.44. Same question.

2 Likes

If they’re on your belly, they can be removed with a rusty razor… early in the morning.

4 Likes

They…um…aren’t. Stay away from the captain’s daughter, is my advice.

3 Likes

Copy that.

1 Like

Vinegar Hill House in Brooklyn has a really nice cast iron chicken that they do with a half a chicken. It requires cutting the breast away from the rib cage and using it as a base for a brown stock though, so I guess that’s not really spatchcocked. Maybe halfspatched?

Recipe:

Note: I’ve made this a few times, and my wife loves it. The most time-consuming part is the brown stock. The trick is to make it once and make enough of it that you can use it for 3-4 more dinners (keep it in the freezer). Other than the brown stock, it’s a pretty easy and quick meal.

4 Likes

[quote=“hecep, post:33, topic:96321, full:true”]…early in the morning.
[/quote]

Arrrrr! I see what you did there!

3 Likes

Mm, pretty nice. But can they crack ribs faster than a $5 pair of tin snips from Harbor Freight?

2 Likes

This “spatchcock” method is how I prepare a turkey for roasting. Learned it from ATK/Cook’s Illustrated in 2010. Best turkey ever.

5 Likes

I only attempt a rusty razor during a very late night after…

Wait, what were we talking about?

5 Likes