Kookslams, the maritime metaphor for 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/19/kookslams-the-maritime-metaph.html

5 Likes

TBH, been slammed like that a few times, even as a long-time body surfer.

3 Likes

Can someone help an oldster understand…what causes someone to want to want to post something like this online? Do people genuinely not get embarassed anymore?

1 Like

Somehow getting slammed by a big wave never intuitively seemed that dangerous. Water all around. But getting slammed by a big wave into the sand? Ouch and a half! Now I feel that big wave danger.

3 Likes

My dad used to be stationed in Hawaii for a period, and got slammed on to some coral once. He was lucky and didn’t get too hurt.

3 Likes

I feel so bad about myself. I normally abhor videos where people could be hurt, etc., and avoid anything that looks like that…

… but the woman asking the ocean for cleansing then immediately getting slammed by a wave has made my day.

10 Likes

@pitchpolecentral for more, mostly sailcraft

1 Like

Often it’s people laughing at themselves intending to share something for a small audience of family and friends, only to have it blow up and unexpectedly go viral. There’s definitely other folk that are into attention for its own sake tho.

3 Likes

Ditto. Honeymooned in Oahu in 07, was driving down the leeward side (rented a bungalow in Waimanolo) and for excited when I saw some 10’ surf. We pull over and I head in. The break was really quick and violent, took me. by surprise and immediately pounded meet into the sand. Stumbled up with the breath knocked out of me and a huge swelling on one of my shoulder blades. Pretty sure I could hear the natives chuckling ad they bobbed just outside the break. I still have a knot on one of my ribs, guess I fractured it

5 Likes

Nice. I love those stories. I was 8 years into serious body-surfing large waves (8-16ft regularly) in Southern California when a 12-footer rolled me around and nearly drowned me. It was blind luck that I felt my feet poke up out of the water as I was basically giving up on finding the surface and starting to black out–I was upside down and didn’t know it. Shit happens, even to non-noobs.

7 Likes

When I saw that headline I wondered what that Dutch word would turn out to mean.

2 Likes

Oh, you mean kookslam? No, that’s when your nice Dutch grandmother surprises everyone by taking a tray of steaming fresh pastries out of the oven right after supper.

2 Likes

WIPE OUT!!! HA HA HA!!! dugga dugga duggadagaduggadaga… Dang dang dang digger digger dang dang…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.