Korea threatens "merciless" war against the US over Seth Rogen movie

[Permalink]

1 Like

Yeah, I think Iā€™m going to have to side with North Korea here.

11 Likes

Everybodyā€™s a critic.

So, how many stars does that work out to be?

1 Like

So North Korea can make a movie about nuking America, but we canā€™t make a movie (no doubt farcical, and involving smoking weed) about assassinating a murderous dictator? Yeah, Iā€™m going to have to side with Seth Rogen on this.

6 Likes

Shouldnā€™t they be going to war with Canada over this, though?

9 Likes

I canā€™t be bothered to fact check: have they really threated war or is this a just a guerilla marketing scam to gain more press for the movie?

3 Likes

This is North Korea weā€™re talking about.

If I read that they claimed to have recruited an army of invisible demons to perform nightly buggery on every US Congresscritter, I would laugh and move on without any need for verification.

http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1352135570102095.jpg

11 Likes

A film like this suggests an intention to soften (or rather, harden) up the American public in preparation for an actual planned conflict. Once weā€™re used to laughing at the idea of assassinating a real-life foreign leader, weā€™re ready to roll.

I think it suggests an intention to harden us to the idea that Seth Rogenā€™s still making movies.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point. Maybe we should both go to war with Canada, just to clear up any confusion of jurisdiction, and then we can settle the score between North Korea and the US.

1 Like

Weā€™re already there.

Ask Manuel Noriega, Muammar al-Gaddafi, Saddam Hussein, or Osama bin Laden about how much restraint the US shows in acting directly against foreign leaders. I know that of the four I mentioned, only that last was actually assassinated, but they each, very personally, experienced the joys of being on the shit list of the USA.

Please note: I donā€™t necessarily support any of the above actions, I merely cite them as historical events.

The only thing that has kept the leader of North Korea alive is that he is a pet of the Chinese. No matter how wacky he is, his nation serves as a buffer-state that prevents China from directly sharing a border with South Korea. To be fair, we (China and the US) probably both like it that way.

I think that making a farcical movie about assassinating foreign leaders actually pushes back against the US being acclimated to taking such direct action, because nothing threatens authority more than mockery.

My opinion only, YMMV :smile:

1 Like

I blame Canada :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

http://img.geocaching.com/track/display/0bf26c4a-eaec-4448-b685-5f66600359ef.jpg

2 Likes

Iā€™m still puzzled as to who the ā€˜appropriateā€™ audience is.

1 Like

Very meta. Their hyperbole has hyperbole.

1 Like

I like Seth Rogen, but I will grant you that it is probably because he grew up near where I used to live and the cadences and humour are very much like my own - that is to say, lowbrow, sarcastic and offensive to the easily offended.

1 Like

I thought it had something to do with NKā€™s artillery holding the 10 million+ civilians in Seoul hostage.

Can I declare merciless war on Seth Rogen too? Maybe get some kind of Kickstarter or Patreon thing going?

6 Likes

I grew up near Family Guy, too!

1 Like

I donā€™t know if this counts because it wasnā€™t funny enough to inspire much laughter, butā€¦

2 Likes