'Kung Fu' reboot looks great

When I was a kid watching the show, I always assumed that Carridine’s character had been orphaned when his family was traveling in China, and he was taken in by the monks as a young child. Do not recall if there was anything in the show itself to reinforce that idea, or if it was just my young mind. I mean, if a small child can be orphaned in Africa and raised by apes, how much of a stretch could it be that a small child could be orphaned in China and raised by monks? Besides, according to every Disney movie, every adventure needs to start by being orphaned as a child.

3 Likes

People also tend to join late in life after having a family (at least in Japan). I have an Aunt-in-law who became one in her 50’s after having 2 children.

On TV-Japan (NHK) There is a cooking show where a Buddhist monk and her grown children make vegetarian dishes mostly from stuff gardened around the home.

4 Likes

Yes, but there are four hours of Star Trek reruns on every evening. . .

You see my dilemma.

7 Likes

He was supposed to be half-Chinese. The details of his family I don’t recall, although I do recall him finally meeting his American half-brother.

9 Likes

Ahh the glorious H&I All Star Trek block!
I got to catch up on DS9 with that. (Stopped watching after 1 season and missed the whole Dominion War when it aired originally).

The good news is you can generally skip:
TNG season 1, DS9 Seasons 1-2, Voyage Seasons 1-5, and Enterprise Season 1-2 and not feel deprived.

3 Likes

FTFY.

As soon as I hear that corny pop music theme song, I’m out.

3 Likes

Season 3 was pretty good.

The tail end of the series were also pretty decent. The season 4 “Mirror Universe” episodes were fun. The finale of the show is the episode called “Terra Prime”, featuring Peter Weller as a bad guy. There are no episodes after that. None at all. They do not exist.

1 Like

That wasn’t the norm for your family?

1 Like

In a word…Tivo.

I think most teachers have had at least one student that made them want to go the “just take the pebble and get the hell out” route.

7 Likes

If you are a chosen of the great cat, and you wish to study at the Monastery of the Midnight Sun… learn the secrets of our art… I will accept you as a student, but our monastery is extremely challenging to get to. It lies far away in a remote place where only the most dedicated can reach it.

Yeah I know something about that, I’m from Staten Island.

Oh, we’re in Staten Island. Yeah. No, that’s what I was referring to. The monastery is in Staten Island… Honestly, people usually guess wrong about where the center of Kung Fu is.

3 Likes

And by that clip I’d say it’s filmed in Vancouver BC as that street scene is on Pender St by Dr Sun yet Sen Chinese garden .

1 Like

He’s half white - his father was white and his mother was Chinese.

David Carradine was pretty white, though.

Did you ever watch the original show? He literally spent almost the entirety of every single episode trying to avoid violence, and only employing it when necessary.

True, but he’s supposed to be of mixed heritage.

they spend like the first season with him trying to find his brother, ignore it for almost all of the second season, and pick it back up for the end of the third.

7 Likes

Yes, ABC executives were not going to cast an asian actor as a lead in one of their prime-time series.

3 Likes

It’s true, but the supporting cast often included plenty of Asian actors in speaking roles, many of which were not stereotypical or particularly racist, which was relatively rare at the time.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s a part of it, along with abstaining from alcohol and meat consumption. Celibacy isn’t necessarily true of other Buddhist monks/nuns (depending on country and order - it’s not part of any modern Japanese traditions, for example), but it is of Shaolin.

3 Likes

Cool. So yes, the sequel made no sense on that, then.

3 Likes

Which is really Buckaroo Banzai vs the World Crime League.

2 Likes

The whole thing was such a hot mess of nonsense, it was really the least-bad offense of the series, but it was continuously vexing as it was flaunted in every episode.

3 Likes

“Did you ever watch the original show? He literally spent almost the entirety of every single episode trying to avoid violence, and only employing it when necessary.”

This new show seems to take the use violence first approach. That’s what I saw in the trailer.

2 Likes