Kushner and Trump meet with Tech CEOs including Apple's Tim Cook, Alphabet/Google's Eric Schmidt

“He said the administration was scrapping unneeded cyber compliance rules and should be able to consolidate and eliminate the vast majority of the government’s 6,100 data centers and move to a cloud-based storage system.”

LOL

God, you can’t make this shit up.

1 Like

Notably absent is Elon Musk, who left after Trump pulled out of the Paris accord.

7 Likes

They are now collaborators. Normalizing the destruction of the USA.

3 Likes

I’ve dealt with the MAS (financial regulator in Singapore) on some IT projects. They are pretty hardcore about systems security and their auditors know their stuff.

OTOH Singapore’s govt IT infrastructure is smaller and younger than that of the US govt and far less sprawling. Not to mention far fewer govt agencies and contractors involved. That is to say, its probably much easier for them to do this sort of thing.

4 Likes

That isn’t even a new thing, but a recap of what the Obama administration already accomplished.

3 Likes

He said the administration was scrapping unneeded cyber compliance rules and should be able to consolidate and eliminate the vast majority of the government’s 6,100 data centers and move to a cloud-based storage system.

Oh America, you are so fucked.

5 Likes

I don’t know why we expect any sort of altruism out of the orgs,they exist solely to make a profit. Thats whose ‘side’ they are on, they were only upset about the delays in their vias hiring process, not any of the policy fundamentally.

So unless or system of government is to now starve industry until it puts its own pressure on government… because unless the government considers us a individual as for-profit entities, our opinion is as weightless as it is here.

1 Like

Can’t be embarassed by revelations of a breach, if you throw away any means you have of finding a breach.

Surely this just streamlines the process?

At the moment one has to go to El Presidente himself, so he can declassify the information you need and then tell you it. As a proof of concept, it works! He really can just say state secrets to anyone and will not get into trouble, hurrah!

This new phase just streamlines the process and removes El Cheeto as a bottleneck. After all, he is a busy man and those rounds of golf do not play themselves.

I stand corrected.

Ok, this is not my field, and I am tempted to go with the default response of “this is just a way to generate ROI for these companies from gov’t spending,” but…

Under the usual substitution for “the cloud” as “somebody else’s computers”…

By the time you get to an organization that already has 6,100 data centers, is there any way, even in principle, that moving to a cloud-based solution could be cheaper, more efficient, or more reliable? I always figured the main advantages of a cloud-based system getting access to more experienced data center operators as well as economies of scale you don’t have on your own.

1 Like

He said the administration was scrapping unneeded cyber compliance rules

I guess these will be the compliance rules about respecting personal privacy, not allowing personal data to be sold on to commercial interests and that troublesome requirement for sensitive data to be encrypted.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.