LA cop unwittingly films himself planting drugs in suspect's wallet

Oh come on, he’s just a kid. His captain should give him a stern talking to and ban him from planting drugs until gains the minimum competency required to evade his co-worker’s body cam. Maybe assign him some extra training at sleight-of-hand after scho… his shift.

1 Like

I’ve read enough Michael Connolly to know that the desk is where many crimes are committed and omitted.

How about this?

If you’re a cop, and there’s evidence that you attempted to frame someone for a crime, your sentence is automatically double the maximum sentence that the person you were trying to frame would get.

If you’re not corrupt, and not committing crimes under the the color of law, then you have nothing to fear. If you’re committed to the rule of law, then you should support this law. If on the other hand, you’re worried about being nailed by said law…

Guess which way the police unions would go on this suggestion?

6 Likes

How do we get rid of these cops? What is the path to reforming out police? They get caught all the time, and it just doesn’t seem to matter.

6 Likes

Why do they have to log the footage? I would have thought everything taken by the camera ought to have a time-stamp, and possibly a location-stamp too. The data would just file itself. Ideally it would do that with some sort of running checksum so you can’t take bits out without leaving a gap. That would keep a log of each officer’s day without them having to do anything. Plus, it should not be up to the individual to decide what is in the record, and which bits don’t need keeping at the end of the day. Memory is cheap, and most of it will never be asked for again; but if someone’s defence needs to see the recording of the arrest, then it should be there.

If you cannot turn off the camera, you can always stick it in your pocket. No, no, not the pocket with the drugs for planting, fool, try the other one.

Now, this bit will need a change of culture, but not a dramatic one. The camera should be part of the badge. The badge is for your defence - they are shaped like a shield for a reason. If you haven’t got the badge on and facing forwards with the number visible, then you are not an on-duty cop: you are just someone in a light blue shirt. If the badge is on, the camera should be running.

1 Like

Yeah, I really offended a copper by doing that (UK cops generally react badly to someone trying to bribe them), now I always pull my driving license out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.