LA had the best late 60s/early 70s cop tv show theme

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/23/la-had-the-best-late-60s-early.html

7 Likes

I would quibble about that order, but really they are all awesome and my favorite would probably depend on my musical mood for the day.

3 Likes

I’m a tad younger, but I’d replace Streets of SF with the A Team. And Knight Rider was my ringtone for a while, so that’s up there.

Those shows are late 70s/early 80s. What does youth have to do with it? I assume you are allowed to like robots that turn into cars other than the GoBots?

3 Likes

Agreed, but it’s clear that the real battle is for the best 80s cop tv show theme. To which, I humbly submit, Street Hawk!

Bonus 80s points for the neon cloudy shiny bike-y intro, (plus the inexplicable shot of Richard Venture being buried in birthday presents.)

2 Likes

Airwolf is pretty popular around here, but Blue Thunder was pretty great.

5 Likes

An intro biting Isaac Hayes but recast with militaristic police? That’s a bit too on the nose, no?

1 Like

The theme from SWAT was one of the foundation “break” records that started hip hop music in the early 70’s. The break begins just after the intro for the show ends. You can listen to it here @ 1:36

7 Likes

Sorry - it’s all about Baretta!

10 Likes
6 Likes

Live from Atlantic City! With Cockatiel noises by SDJ.

5 Likes

Writing code while the SWAT theme is playing is exciting!

8 Likes

for your consideration:

2 Likes

I’m writing code while the SWAT theme is playing right now!

6 Likes

It was looping in my head but then I watched the finger skateboard video and that music replaced the SWAT theme song. Now I need to re-watch the SWAT video to get my groove back.

4 Likes

“Theme from SWAT” was a bit of an international hit in the mid-seventies. At least I distinctly recall taping it to a cassette off some Top 30 Dutch radio programme. Never seen the tv show though.

6 Likes

Later today when it rains I’m switching over to…

12 Likes

I still listen to the Airwolf theme and keep it in my general rotation when writing.

1 Like

But seriously, Hawaii 5-0 (and the Ventures) in third place? Of the three themes listed, which one can people STILL hum without a Youtube refresher? Sure, S.W.A.T.'s theme is great (so was the show - but not that abomination of a movie that made TJ the villain), but Hawaii 5-0 stands atop all the 70’s cop themes.

6 Likes

Whenever they’d play this at the skating rink we’d lose our minds. The fastest I’ve ever taken corners on eight wheels.

2 Likes