LA had the best late 60s/early 70s cop tv show theme

And of course later, the theme from Hill Street Blues also got some radio airplay…

3 Likes

80’s, but…

2 Likes

Barreta - Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HNWhVXcjV8

All I know is that Jack Lord’s hair is a National Treasure. It deserves UNESCO World Heritage status.

6 Likes

…and, as I just discovered, his hair became even more powerful and awesome as he aged!

9 Likes

a trout in the milk

1 Like

Though watching that SWAT intro, it makes me wonder how all the cops in the back of the SWAT truck didn’t get knocked over as they skid to a stop like they did.

It just cuts to the one jumping out the back like nothing happened…

1 Like

I’d move “Hawaii 5-0” up to second slot in the instrument category, mainly because you get to do a little hula shimmy.

“Baretta” and “Chico and the Man” belong in the vocal category, and both win because Sammy.

4 Likes

The theme from SWAT isn’t even in the same ballpark as *Streets of San Francisco’*s. Streets’ theme is jazzy, complicated, even funkier, and demonstrated the humanity central to the show’s theme. SWAT’s theme was just a Red Bull used in a vain attempt to keep audiences awake through the terrible show that followed.

Streets changed its theme slightly every year. I think the 5th season’s theme is the tightest.

1 Like

Or Sammy Davis Jr. Singing the theme from Hawaii 50…

5 Likes

How did I not know this existed?! That transcends both the instrumental and vocal categories for best late-60s/early 70s cop TV show to take the GOAT prize.

ETA: wow, that exceeded expectations. And the best part was that those weren’t even the original lyrics, but ones apparently written for Sammy.

4 Likes

Every cop/detective show had to have its cool car move in addition to a great theme song. I give you both here:

10 Likes

I know! It’s fantastic isn’t it?

But how did I not know they weren’t the original lyrics? I thought they were why he chose the song as he was doing his I’m over 40 but you can trust me thing.

2 Likes

The original Hawaii 5-0 credit sequence is pretty amazing cinematography. That incredible zoom in on Jack Lord standing on the balcony is still one of my favorite shots ever.

4 Likes

I just started watching The Professionals. It’s a crime show from the 70’s England set in the London area and stars the butler (Gordon Jackson) from Upstairs Downstairs. It rivals any of these LA shows.

2 Likes

Of all of the Hawaii 5-0-themed guitar solos, this one from Radio Birdman’s “Aloha Steve and Danno” (1977) is one of the best.

(Solo starts around 1.40.)

4 Likes

Don’t forget the Brits

3 Likes

Was this post regarding LATE 60’s / early 70’s just to leave out of all Mancini’s themes?

7 Likes

Odd that they could do these kinds of AWESOME MACHO VEHICLE shows a lot more cheaply now with CGI but nobody is interested anymore

“Change their minds, and change the world!!!”

4 Likes