LA had the best late 60s/early 70s cop tv show theme

These are all great, but the most surprising thing here for me was the word “hooning”. Had to look that up.

This and the theme from Police Woman gave me flashbacks…

3 Likes

Mission Impossible is the great Lalo Schifrin.
Who was just as if not cooler than Henry Mancini.

Mostly for this theme.

6 Likes

Technically not a cop show, but one of the best crime-oriented themes from the 70s.

Also, didn’t anyone ever get the theme from Emergency! stuck in their head?

4 Likes

Kojak, baby.

1 Like

Also Johnny Staccato, which had excellent music throughout (since Cassavetes was supposed to be both a detective and a jazz pianist):

But yeah, the Peter Gunn theme is by any measure the best theme from a detective or cop show from any time and any country.

Good luck with that. I tried to rewatch it a few years ago, and found myself cringing at both the language and attitudes of the main characters.

2 Likes

ISTR that SWAT was originally introduced in a crossover episode of The Rookies

And no love yet for The Mod Squad?
That had a great opening title sequence

2 Likes

That would be Earl Hagen. Why do I remember these things?

1 Like

Well… I’ve had THAT wrong in my head for the last 35 or so years…
I could have sworn that the music sheet (maybe a book of Mancini music?) said Mancini did it, but I agree - Schifrin it is.

2 Likes

There should be Special Wraps And Tacos food trucks.

3 Likes
1 Like

In my head The Professionals was the (worthy) successor to The Sweeney. Some good work from John Thaw and Dennis Waterman, although Dennis Waterman did not sing the theme tune.

3 Likes

If you’re on a Euston Films kick, you should also watch Special Branch.

1 Like

Theme from S.W.A.T. is the only TV theme song I’ve ever seen people actually dance to. Big Disco sensation back in the day practically guaranteed to fill the dance floor every time.

Where do young folks dance these days?

1 Like

Maybe also pertinent here:

6 Likes

I see what you did there.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen that before - that bought lols to the whole house.

1 Like

Yep. I get the feeling that there’s a lot of that in this.

Well that, but so much more as well Bullitt (is that also in 5/4 time?), I have a stunning planet of the apes TV show dance mix from him. Or his disco version of Jaws (on a record I have with a version of Quiet Village on it!)

Can’t find the Apr stuff on YouTube or Spotify but it’s on black vinyl upstairs somewhere. Swear!

Edit
and dirty Harry stuff and French Connection (didn’t he take over the score from Hermann?)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.