Labour Party thread

4 Likes

You want to suspend someone in the Labour party? Try Lisa Nandy.

WTF!?

10 Likes

snl-amy-poehler-seth-meyers-really

3 Likes

The most charitable interpretation is that she meant ā€œantisemites see themselves as punching up instead of punching downā€, but today is a really bad day to put your foot in your mouth on the subject.

5 Likes

That would be a pretty damn charitable interpretationā€¦

I really donā€™t get how this is so hard for people to grok. Donā€™t be racist, anti-semitic, homophobic, transphobic, Islamophobic, misogynistic, etc. It really ainā€™t rocket surgery hereā€¦

5 Likes

You are right, but Lisa Nandy is one of the soft left Labour MPs that the right wing of the party tolerate so they can claim that they donā€™t want to purge the left.

4 Likes

Meanwhile the Tories are laughing their arses off while running their Victorian slop houses and debtors prisons.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Ugh. Thatā€™s depressing.

So much this!

5 Likes

Thoughts on this guy?

2 Likes

Six months ago I would have said he was too right wing, but he has undeniably done a good job as mayor of Greater Manchester.

4 Likes

That seems to be what the article indicates, so thanks for clarifying that point to my brainā€¦

Maybe when doing the actual work of governing, he realize how inadequate the Clinton/Blairite middle way neoliberal approach has been to dealing with real world problems? One can only hope that someone in the labour party is going to start moving leftā€¦

2 Likes

hereā€™s kind of a timeline by the guardianā€“Jeremy Corbyn to fight suspension from Labour after EHRC antisemitism report comments ā€“ as it happened | Politics | The Guardian

1 Like

He really is playing a blinder. I always thought he was playing the long game when he stepped out of national politics. Heā€™s managed to avoid all the pro/anti-Corbyn factionalism and heā€™ll be able to step back into national politics in the post-Starmer Labour party looking strong and principled, unencumbered by the past in-fighting with executive experience and a power base. I can easily see him making LOTO or PM.

hereā€™s another take on the matter at hand and background issuesā€“

4 Likes

Part of a thead

Starmer needs to resign. We will not get a leader from the left of the party, but maybe we can get someone who will be competent as leader of the opposition and future PM. Maybe someone who follows the rules of the party too?

3 Likes

Is Starmer losing the centre of the Labour Party? :thinking:

My NEC votes are in. Having to read to find out which TER is least worst was stressful, but Mr ā€œcan we fire warning shot nukes?ā€ managed to worse. Thereā€™s no need to remind us that Britain only has nukes because of Ernest Bevin (not to be mistaken for Nye Bevan, father of the NHS.)

3 Likes

It looks like five from my top ten and four from my bottom 10 in the CLP. Laura Pidcock should be good if we can keep her away from hating on trans people though. Ellen Morrison was my choice for disabled members representation, the contest was close.

It would have been nice to get Katherine Foy and Jermain Jackman in. A trans voice would have been nice and apparently there has never been a Black man elected to the NEC.

3 Likes

FFS, Luke Akehurst (Mr nuke first and ask questions later) got on the CLP because of donkey voters :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Shit. Actually thought that was Max Headroom.
Maybe forgot what topic I was on.