Languages

6 Likes
5 Likes

viuva dotada?

Still dowager occurs a lot in 19th century British literature and modern reinterpretations of such–

Violet Crawley , Dowager Countess of Grantham"

and if there’s no comparable literary tradition of Portuguese caring about such trifles, it will be a rarer word than it would be in English.

Most people don’t need to know about entailments. Some people do because of Jane Austen-- and the authors that followed.

3 Likes

In Japanese, the word for widow (未亡人) literally translates as “person who has not died (yet).”

7 Likes
12 Likes

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing that. Wow.

7 Likes

This book is fascinating on the subject (and on the gender of some of the creators).

His writing style sometimes grated but the depth of research makes up for that.

6 Likes
4 Likes

My, Duolingo. How progressive!

8 Likes

Duolingo lore says Bea is lesbian, Lin is bi, Oscar is Gay. And at least one of the stories features a gay romance. (The song)

5 Likes

not exactly the same topic, but i like their blog sometimes. this one i just read with a bit about how the korean word for “germany” ( togil ) comes from the reading of the japanese writing for “deutsch” is neat

4 Likes

I just finished that in German the other day. What a cute story! :two_men_holding_hands:t4:

6 Likes

ivent read the entire thread, but since there’s at least three of us with their app…

• i pay for duolingo
  • i endure the ads
  • i enjoy the ads
  • everything i need to know i’ve learned by watching anime ( telenovela, das boot, etc. )

0 voters

3 Likes

Pihole blocks all the ads for me.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Well, that took a somewhat depressing turn…

As an aside if anybody wants to add me as a friend on Duolingo, my username is the same as here.

8 Likes

Just switch to Finnish.

7 Likes

That seems to be the right answer a lot of the time!

5 Likes

Continuing the discussion from 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2):

Great phrase. I love the etymology of it:

and

10 Likes

Huh. Never thought of it as British, but OK. FWIW, I’ve been using it for years, but had no idea of the etymology.

10 Likes