Languages

At 540+ days of Duolingo, I got past Wildfire, Scholar, and (most recently) Sage. Now, the system keeps prompting me about using the app instead of the browser. Has anyone made that change and regretted it? The only annoying things in the browser version are the occasional daily challenges for lingots and league updates. I’m trying to keep the distractions to a minimum.

1 Like

Lately, the loading screens on Duolingo have been taking forever. Especially frustrating when you have a 2x XP boost going. Has anyone else here been affected?

I was thinking it was just my old-ass phone…

1 Like

As a rule of thumb, never use an app if you can do something just fine in the browser.

3 Likes

:thinking: Coming soon to Rosetta Stone or Duolingo?

jk, but still cool news! The description of the discovery did remind me of Tamarian from Star Trek, though. Too bad that’s not on the list, despite the inclusion of other SFF languages:

3 Likes

Good tips for making Duolingo work in different ways to reach language learning goals. This also raises awareness of AI voice problems:

3 Likes

Pop Tv Thank You GIF by Schitt's Creek

It’s not just me! It’s not just me!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Sometimes, clozemaster is just deranged.

1 Like

That’s awesome. I didn’t know “soupçonner” or “surdoué”, and now I’m pretty sure I’m going to have a hard time forgetting them.

2 Likes

On the French interenet, nobody knows you’re a squirrel.

4 Likes

Sur l’Internet français, personne ne sait que tu es écureuil.

6 Likes

On Minitel, nobody knows you’re a squirrel.

4 Likes

I was watching a clip of the Simpsons and a throwaway joke was made about the Cappadocians.

The Cappodocian Greeks were expelled from Turkey after 1922 and forced to move to Greece, where they and their ancestors had never lived. Their language was declared extinct in 1970 but “rediscovered” in 2005.

Here’s a documentary (Dutch with English Subtitles)
https://vimeo.com/88034680

A picture from Wikipedia showing the various Greek dialects that were spoken in what is now Turkey.

4 Likes

I sometimes discuss the forced migration of people in that region after the Turkish-Greek War in my history classes. It strikes me that the destruction of a particular language is one way in which to see the real world impact of events like this.

8 Likes

Wasn’t this a plot point in Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides?

No idea.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/29/asia/new-zealand-bilingual-road-signs-debate-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

But the idea hasn’t gone down well with right-wing opposition parties, who have attacked the signs claiming they will jeopardize road safety. An extra language will mean less space for the English words, the theory goes, and smaller type will be harder for motorists to read.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, the road safety defence. We had those same concern troIIs here, when the town painted two crosswalks in rainbow colours for pride month. Suddenly everyone online was a road safety expert who was, like, totally not against homosexuals, but didn’t we know that motorbike riders used the space between the white lines for safe travel over crosswalks in wet conditions, so what if that is painted over, and didn’t you agree that the whole pride thing was taken too far and turned the silent majority against gay people?

7 Likes