Languages

The placement of the name is coordinated with the City Development Department of Rīga City Council.

or is it the ‘city council “rīga”’? :thinking:

1 Like

You’ve got it all wrong, officer! I wasn’t saying “non.” I was saying “no!”

1 Like

Here’s an interesting look at languages spoken in the US:

3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

There should be an Icelandic version, too.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Oh my god.

2 Likes

I don’t think they dub stuff that isn’t meant for little children.

I find dubbing so distracting that I can’t watch old European movies that didn’t record live audio.

2 Likes

The story as presented in the saga below does occasionally contradict the introduction, not least in including the ending of the story. If you want to skip the prequels, the original trilogy starts between chapters 16 and 17.

Chuckle chuckle

3 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

The artist Angie Wang developed a fascination with ChatGPT and other applications of large language models at the same time that her toddler son was learning to speak, developing his own “small language model” at home. As she watched her son interact with the world, she began to fear that he, along with the rest of us, was no more than what researchers have dubbed a “stochastic parrot,” a machine capable of producing complex linguistic expression without understanding the content it generates. In a visually stunning and deeply moving new illustrated story, Wang considers the ways in which technological developments threaten to undermine our ideas about art, original thought, expression, and selfhood—while also offering a profound message of hopefulness about the stubborn and, perhaps, irreplaceable fact of humanity. “They are so much less than a machine,” she writes, of the children in the world. “And yet it’s clear to any of us that they’re so much more than a machine.”

2 Likes

I found a Soviet made telescope in a recycling centre shop ЛЗОС (Lytkarino Optical Glass Plant) Турист-П (Turist-P) 8-20х32.

I’m trying to figure out what the П stands for and found a Russian website selling the same model.

http://www.redoptic.ru/turist_p_lzos.html

That seems to say it stands for панкратичность Google Translate say that means pancratic.

I also found a patent

Технический результат - создание прибора с простой оптической схемой, обеспечивающей панкратичность в обоих каналах, с минимальными потерями светопропускания и минимальными массогабаритными характеристиками.

The technical result is the creation of a device with a simple optical design that ensures pancracy in both channels, with minimal light transmission losses and minimal weight and size characteristics.

What does панкратичность mean?

2 Likes

It just means zoom lens:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Zoom_lens

4 Likes

Perhaps Russians aren’t apt to confuse it with pancreatic.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s borrowed from Greek.

παγκράτιον is “Pankration”, “All-might”, the Ancient Greek MMA.
The Genus Pancratium is from the same etymological root.

Knowing that the English word we’re looking for is “pancratic” (thanks @bucaneer) means that we can look it up in Wiktionary, which says that it’s from παγκρατής, “all-powerful” again. From which we can extrapolate that they’re talking about “powers of magnification”.

4 Likes

Thanks.

3 Likes
5 Likes

:thinking:

Going to have to ponder this idea while listening to the pitter patter of my flip flops while walking to the hip hop pit stop.

11 Likes

Or Master Shake and his “bling blong”.

2 Likes