On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
There’s a Nong Nang Ning
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang
All the mice go Clang
And you just can’t catch 'em when they do!
So its Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go ping
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang
What a noisy place to belong
is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!

Spike Milligan

4 Likes

Not just English, I’m told by Italian friends.

badda-bim, badda-bam, badda-boom

ETA:

Another example English: big bad wolf. This one is interesting, because without reduplication, the word order would probably be different, according to another unwritten rule in English, pointed out by Mark Forsyth in “The Elements of Eloquence” (2013).

Adjectives in English absolutely have to be in this order: opinion-size-age-shape-colour-origin-material-purpose Noun. So you can have a lovely little old rectangular green French silver whittling knife. But if you mess with that word order in the slightest you’ll sound like a maniac. It’s an odd thing that every English speaker uses that list, but almost none of us could write it out.

As he points out, this is why Tolkien learned as a child that Green Great Dragons can’t exist in English, but Great Green Dragons can.

“Big bad wolf” sounds fine to native English speakers because of it’s reduplication flow. But “opinion” comes before “size” in that list.

If we substitute “huge” for “big” and “nasty” for “bad”, we can check:

• “nasty huge wolf” works, and
  • “huge nasty wolf” sounds like you forgot to mention nasty and are quickly tucking it in before you say “wolf”.

So flow wins over formality, at least here.

4 Likes

Would “big, nasty, pointy” flow better here?

2 Likes

Talk like they want, mighty wizards do.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I wondered while I was there about that. Are you not speaking English to me because you can’t or you won’t?

My spoken English is much much worse then my writing. But most people can understand what I’m trying to say.

3 Likes

No idea. But then I’m not from Switzerland either.

2 Likes

Our other problem was that we only spoke Finnish, Swedish, German and English. Our hotel was in the French speaking bit and it was off season so and there were nobody speaking any of those around…

6 Likes

“only”.

4 Likes

For reals… I can barely speak English… :crazy_face:

4 Likes

It’s always relative, and depends a lot on just where you lay down the baseline.

[…] thirty languages “with rare excellence” […] nine other languages fluently, and with dozens of others he is said to have had at least basic knowledge

1 Like

The French speaking bits of places can be somewhat tricky now and then. (Yes, I’m looking at you, “Bruxelles”. We’ll talk later. Mon Dieu, all I wanted was a bloody croissant. Yes, I know, tourists can be worse than Biblical plagues. Go count some sprouts, why don’t you.)

I’m fairly sure I’ve been in situations where people suddenly remembered that they could speak a little bit of another language after all - because my attempts at French were so atrocious that they just wanted it to stop at any cost.

2 Likes

https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~beatrice/110/docs/uncleftish_beholding.html

4 Likes

Today we wield both kind of uncleftish doings in weapons, and kernelish splitting gives us heat and bernstoneness. We hope to do likewise with togethermelting, which would yield an unhemmed wellspring of work for mankindish goodgain.

Soothful togethermelting for mankindish goodgain is always 20 years hence, and will be forevermore

2 Likes

A voiceless linguolabial trill.

1 Like

IMDb machine translation at its finest.

予約犬 means “Reservation Dogs,” but 予約 means “reservation as in appointment.”

The intro literally says, “Comedy series about four American Indian teenagers growing up on an appointment in Eastern Oklahoma.”

5 Likes

English is a language too, right?

Some of these words really need to become part of our political discourse:

• Balaamite
  • Bayard
  • Gobemouche
4 Likes

Didn’t Tony Soprano used to say that? :thinking:

1 Like

So close!

4 Likes

4 Likes