Languages

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

1 Like

8 Likes

My IRL bud Keef sent me this. It’s hardly intellectually challenging, but some nice ones I wasn’t hip to are included.
12 Words that Sound Better in Other Languages - dictionaryscoop.com

I replied,

There has been much 8
of late; but then, 'tis the damn
season once again

4 Likes

Good list! Reminds me of this scene from The Simpsons:

2 Likes

Of course the only reason the word utepils exists in Norway is because it’s so damn seldom that the weather allows it here, so it’s a special occasion

4 Likes

Farfalla vendetta! Farfalla vendetta!

May you enjoy many utepils in the coming year!

5 Likes

Found this far funnier than I should have

someone please tell me if this is actually in accordance with how you spell irish stuff

I appreciate your curiosity!! This is exactly how we’d Gaelicise English names.
The J in Jason becoming an S is based on the model of Seán being the Irish version of John, and of Séamus being the Irish version of James. Séason would be pronounced Shay-son.
T is pronounced very softly in Irish, and when it’s followed by an E, it becomes a CH sound. The EA diphtong in Tead is pronounced as ‘ah’. So Tead would be pronounced as Chad, exactly the same.
As above, the EA is pronounced ‘ah’ and the combination GH is silent in Irish, so Hearraigh would be pronounced as Harry is in English, despite the initially alarming length.
Darach is already an Irish name, meaning ‘like an oak,’ and it’s usually Anglicised as Dara or Darragh (pronounced identically to each other), so suggesting Dairech = Derek is just extra funny.
I don’t think I’ll actually be able to scrub Ailfiagh out of my mind. It sounds too Irish, to the point that it’s replaced Alfie as the default spelling for me.
In short, We Need to Talk about Caoimhín (Kwee-veen) is a genius.

The Virgin latinize vs the tead gealicise

Alfie’s antique emporium in Church Street NW8 has a building beside it selling primarily Middle Eastern and Asian antiques, called Al Fayez. They can now open an Irish building…

from

9 Likes

8 Likes

( edit: i had tried to find a map of “hi”, “hey”, “hello”. if there is such a thing, i don’t know. disappointed the map above doesn’t include a breakout for “yous guys” )

( eeta: oops. you’re right. youse guys. sorry, ficuswhisperer :wink: )

8 Likes

No “youse guys” band for the mid-Atlantic folk?

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yinz are never happy.

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

12 Likes
5 Likes

I would have to say the the section on the California Central Valley is interesting. My husband makes fun of the way I say “deal.” He says it sounds like “dill” and I tend to elongate my final vowels or smoosh together final syllables: elementary becomes elementry.

3 Likes

The American Dialect Society recently had it’s annual meeting where they select words of the year in various categories, and the overall word of the year. There’s a lot of good stuff in there, but two things stood out to me. First, I love their choice for the overall word of the year: enshittification. Perfect.

Second, their choice for euphemism of the year. Before you click on the link and read that, try to guess what this means: structurally restrictive housing.

6 Likes

Jail?

< downloads pdf >

Guess I was close.

It’s a sad one. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Since I posted that almost a week ago, I’ll go ahead and post the answer for everyone. It’s a euphemism for solitary confinement. And it was actually used by the New York Department of Corrections.

2 Likes