Languages

Very interesting article with a very stupid title. Of course you can, everyone who has ever lived immersed in a different language knows that.

4 Likes

2 Likes

That’s just the QuoraBot deciding to try its hand at proving Hofstadter’s point in Le Ton Beau de Marot. (That being: translation is hard.)

My favourite example of “translation is hard” is this:

WTAF?

The original text was French.

Arbre, Ballon, Cheval, Dauphin, Etoile, Fleur, Gateau, Hélice, Image, Jus, Kangourou, Lion, Maison, Neige, Oiseau, Poisson, Queue, Roue, Singe, Tigre, Universe, Vache, Wagon, Xylophon, Yacht, Zèbre

5 Likes

Makes perfect sense. arbre, ballon, cheval, dauphin, etoile, fleur, gateau, …

Nice of them to provide English translations too. :joy:

4 Likes

A discussion group participant asked everyone how we should say “vegan cheese” in French. After getting various answers, she told us the best response she’s heard is «fauxmage.»
:laughing:

8 Likes

“…the man who wrote the note is a German. Do you note the peculiar construction of the sentence – ‘This account of you we have from all quarters received.’ A Frenchman or Russian could not have written that. It is the German who is so uncourteous to his verbs.”

– Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia

Typing as a former high school German I student who spent much time wrestling with German irregular verbs, more power to you, I say! Be as rude to those verbs as you wanna!

4 Likes

RobWords is XLNT.

3 Likes