Languages

3 Likes

Which is ridiculous for so many reasons, but IIRC even the first Kaiser had to backpedal from being “Emperor of Germany” to being the German Emperor.

None the less, that’s what some believe… see Germany in the 30s…

1 Like

Isn’t every Greek dialect descended from ancient Greek?

I always treat these “this version of the language is basically unchanged” stories with a pinch of salt. All language changes. Some isolated ones might change in a different way (and at a different rate) than the mainstream language, but they’re not frozen in amber.

And no, Americans don’t pronounce English like Shakespeare did

2 Likes

Personal names are a real pain in Japanese.

Take, for example, 愛美.

This name combines the characters for “love” and “beauty.” The problem is in the pronunciation.

When used as a name, these two characters have three different pronunciations: “Aimi,” “Manami” and “Megumi.”

You’ll notice that these three pronunciations sound nothing alike, and that’s what makes Japanese special: each character has several different pronunciations depending on the context.

市場 means “market,” but it is pronounced “ichiba” for a market where you buy food and “shijō” for a market where you buy stocks and bonds.

I think that Japanese is unique in this way. Each character has only one pronunciation in Chinese (with a few rare exceptions), so you don’t find yourself having absolutely no idea how a word is pronounced if you know and understand the characters.

It’s like how you either know how to say “erudite” or you don’t, but for a whole bunch of words without any logical rules.

6 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/linguisticshumor/comments/1618uc4/bavarian_dialect_isnt_germanic_but_latin/

2 Likes

With French under fire, Mali uses AI to bring local language to students (Washington Post)

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

10 Likes

Memorandopodes

9 Likes

ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker (6)

5 Likes

The plural of kleenex is kleenices, right? :grin:

3 Likes

Kleenexopodes.

9 Likes

Except in :australia: and :new_zealand: when it would be anti-kleenexopodes… no? :thinking:

Of course, the real fun begins in my world with “futures” which is both singular and plural, and “future” refers only to the anticipatory time when futures expire. :grin:

(“Fun”… yeah… low threshold… which I always want to spell with two h’s, although TIL the etymology is not clear…)

1 Like

Kleenexopodia is the key insight!

1 Like

Is anyone else bothered by the lack of case agreement in this headline?

6 Likes

5 Likes