LAPD wants to remotely access 10,000 public and private security cameras

Originally published at: LAPD wants to remotely access 10,000 public and private security cameras - Boing Boing

4 Likes

Anyone who opts into this program is helping fascists. This will be used to target people.

9 Likes

I wonder how long it’s going to be opt-in, or that you “agree” to it if you ever call 911 / business alarm goes off.

4 Likes

Well, ‘to serve and protect’ does clearly imply service, and we all know service must always have ‘terms of service’ that you can either agree to or forego the service, so … yeah, I wonder how long.

/s (not, probably)

2 Likes

I suspect that making it mandatory would have an unfavorable visibility to effectiveness ratio; but it seems pretty likely that cases where they can just put their feet up and run the tapes at their desk will get more attention than ones that require going out and doing work, even if they manage to avoid a tacit “only team players get attention” policy.

2 Likes

the LAPD had requested videos from Ring camera owners for footage of the Black Lives Matter protests.

A good reason to not get a Ring camera. :confused:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.