Large turkey attacks motorcyclist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/large-turkey-attacks-motorcycl.html

8 Likes

OH EM GEE! @jlw what did you do to piss that bird off?!

7 Likes

Usually in these videos im saying “Aww, dont kick it” but not for this one.

My grandparents raised a handful of turkeys all through my youth and I will say with certainty that there is nothing innocent or graceful about them :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

First the dead cat, and now this. Maybe turkeys hate things that purr or make rumbling noises…:thinking:

7 Likes

Well, kicked at it. I don’t believe he connected solidly at any point. Mostly he was using his leg as a barrier.

Also, it seems turkeys may be dicks.

9 Likes

Turkeys don’t give a fuck. I had a handful stop my car by standing in the road and them mean mug me as I tried to get through. They weren’t scared, maybe because it was a few days after Thanksgiving.

6 Likes

A gang of turkeys getting belligerent is pretty commonplace up here where I live. But they always seem more bluff and gobble than bite or peck. It’s like that Python Sketch about the gang of old ladies. Or was it nuns? Then again a woman was just pecked to death by a rooster, so ymmv…

7 Likes

That turkey has spent too much time hanging around geese. They’re a bad influence.

8 Likes

At my old job, we’d have entire flocks of them entering the grassy area behind our building. They’d chase you if you looked at them funny.

They’re basically wanna be velociraptors.

5 Likes

Turkeys: the REAL reason to wear body armor while motorcycling.

3 Likes

“Hell’s Grannies”

I did a group assignment in library school and we used it as an example of why funding should not be cut to seniors’s library programs. “Look what happens! They take to the street and beat up biker dudes instead of reading cozy murder mysteries! Please fund our senior’s programs!”
8 Likes

I seem to recall reading somewhere that turkeys interact so strangely with humans because they generally see us as large, exotic, oddly-attractive other turkeys and are therefore inclined to either attempt to proposition or aggressively posture in competition with us, depending on what gender they have decided we are. (With the gender a turkey assigns to an individual human being largely arbitrary.)

But most “birds are assholes” behavior can be explained as “birds confuse us because they are ostensibly prey animals but don’t always exhibit deferential flee/fawn behavior that we, the apex predators, are used to from other prey.”

2 Likes

Turkeys are dicks. I lost a Eureka Timberline tent’s rain fly from several trying to break in. Not sure what I did. I was just trying to sleep.

2 Likes

Dress for the turkey fight, not the ride.

Obligatory Sandra Boynton…

4 Likes

Turkey Conspiracy

connect the dots people

3 Likes

The biker’s wearing a jacket, so it might be chilly there.

He appears to be kicking it, cold turkey…

3 Likes

Ah, yes. The ancient enemy is confronted once again.

3 Likes

Harley turkeys hate Yamahas.

1 Like

As a cyclist in the middle of Magpie-swooping season, this guy has my sympathy. I suggest he tries to keep it at bay by attaching cable ties to the outside of his pants.