Laser projected Christmas lights

I bought it in March of 2016 because it was on sale for $20. I didn’t try it until this weekend: http://boingboing.net/2016/04/14/great-deal-on-laser-landscape.html

Keep trying, Boundegar. I’m sure you’ll find lots of gotchas in the 1000s of posts I made in the last 16 years.

12 Likes

Much easier to just project from the inside out, at a window. Wax paper makes a great rear-projection surface.

1 Like

I thought I remembered this from last Christmas. I guess you got me!

I too bought these red/green laser projectors since I saw them on houses last year and loved the effect. Plus I am suuuuper lazy. Would recommend! Ours will stay on for a maximum of 6 hours only, there is no way I can find to make it stay on overnight even if I wanted to. I have a dusk til dawn powered stake outlet so they wouldn’t be on all day anyways.

It did take two to adequately cover our pretty small house so plan to get two.

I also got an inexpensive rotating led snowflake image projector which works fairly well, could be a bit brighter though. They sell some models with interchangeable image panels so you can project other shapes or designs as well.

2 Likes

That’s why you buy two and point them at each other… on the “extra high” setting.

1 Like

Don’t cross the streams. You might end up with a full protonic inversion.

6 Likes

Agreed, these are not actually dangerous to the eyes. I have many times walked through fields of these at dance parties. Perceptually the projectors are much less bright than some of the bright blue LEDs you see on cheap electronics, from say 10 feet away. There is absolutely no way that a pilot could be blinded by one.

I could see a pilot in a sparse rural area seeing sparkles and getting concerned, so best to wait until they are more mainstream and expected before going too crazy pointing them at flight paths.

It’s a lot like HID headlights; in the early days when they were unusual they were much more distracting than today when you see them everywhere.

Yeah, laser starfield projectors have been a staple of raves &c. for many years. I don’t know why it took so long to start marketing them as Christmas lights, but that damn infomercial has seemingly been running 24/7 for the past few months.

2 Likes

i have the exact same thing, pointed where the top beam barely touches the house, so it doesn’t accidentally hit aircraft. Indoors, it drives the cat bonkers, so i close off that room while it’s on. Then i set it on a timer so it doesn’t run all night, just 4 hours after ‘dusk’. If i go to bed and it’s still on i can use the remote to manually turn it off as well. if you got dogs i’d not recommend it, my experience is lasers break dogs where they start chasing shadows.

It’s a major award.

2 Likes

What about “overspray”, is there any danger to neighbors or low flying aircraft or anything? It sure looks cool, but I’d hate for my holiday decorations to be responsible for downing Chopper Dan of the Eyewitness News team.

4 Likes

Not me. I hate Chopper Dan.

6 Likes

Everyone hates Chopper Dan. Bring that bastard down.

4 Likes

I bought this when you suggested it, thanks! Promptly lost it in my unintentionally “cabinet of curiosities” house, but found it and set it up Sunday after I had already wrapped four trees, four arbor vitae and three porch decorations in the front of the house. My spouse and I looked at it projected onto the back of the house, pronounced a resigned “good enough” and went back inside, outside decorating complete. Saved me wrapping six more trees with lights in the backyard. Wish I had bought three though.

1 Like

Pointing lasers at police helicopters is often legitimate self defense.

Honey trap! (steeples fingers) Excellent!

1 Like

I have seen a ton of these out this year. And I would swear that houses where I saw them on would later have them off.

I’ve also joked that, “Nothing says ‘Lazy Yuppie’ like laser Christmas lights”.

1 Like

I’d buy one of these, but I don’t think there’s enough “lawn” in front of my town house to make if feasible. I could tie it to the one tree out there, but then there’d be the problem of power supply.

dunno, I would love something like this

but then I am lazy, though not a yuppie

3 Likes

Absolutely! They actually sell kits for this these days: