Truck has 480,000 lumen light panel installed on it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/31/truck-has-480000-lumen-light.html

4 Likes

Looks like those are high Kelvin “daylight” LED’s as well, ooph :frowning_face:

It’s probably fairly futile to flash your high beams at this guy when your coming the other way down the road.

Though I find myself doing that a lot anyways these days with so many nasty high K headlights in a lot of cars and SUV’s.

23 Likes

Why?

(Aside from the usual “because it’s there” excess some people can’t seem to resist?)\

I can’t help but think that this guy’s truck would be incredibly annoying and disruptive for people and wildlife.

32 Likes

I’d qualify it as light pollution.

23 Likes

His day job must be bicycle headlight designer.

9 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

34 Likes

He may have a very good reason to have such very bright lights.

trollhunter

14 Likes

Almost ten times the lumens as a Nightsun, apparently. But only half as many as an IMAX projector array.
https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/

You may not recognize the name, but chances are you’ve seen one in operation: It’s the searchlight mounted on police and Coast Guard helicopters. With an output on the order of 50,000 lumens, it’s capable of turning a patch ground from night to day.

5 Likes

Cool project. One on a baloon could singlehandedly light up a night event without requiring lighting infrastructure.

What makes you say that?

2 Likes

Coming to a Texas highway near you…

16 Likes

I’d qualify it as a deadly hazard to oncoming drivers any vehicle in front of him.

18 Likes

Portable tanning bed?

5 Likes

I’d qualify it as Moth Central

9 Likes

5 KW penis-extender vs a 3W laser pointer. Come at me bro! /s

21 Likes

Oncoming traffic

6 Likes

Drive this to your local astronomy meetup.
See what happens.

11 Likes

5kw?!? To put that in perspective, that’s about 7 horse power. That’s equivalent to 14 lawn mowers. That’s enough power for 3 or 4 American single family houses. Seriously I can keep doing this all day. That’s freaking nuts.

11 Likes

That article did not go where I thought it was going to go. Thanks for that. :joy:

1 Like

So what you’re really saying here is that I could power my house with a couple of lawnmowers?

8 Likes

I think it’s closer to a violation of the 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons:

12 Likes