Truck has 480,000 lumen light panel installed on it

Perhaps he just doesn’t like other people. And stuff.

9 Likes

This is an opportunity for me to ask: what is the deal with these new headlights? How are they legal? I find many of them painfully blinding.

15 Likes

I would enjoy building the lights, but “practical”? A 5kW power supply for your truck’s headlights is a very different idea of practicality.

8 Likes

Christmas Vacation__Clark__sheer delight

10 Likes

After the initial “Wow, that’s kinda cool.” that’s where my mind went.

I’m trying to think of the legit use cases for something like this, and it begins and ends with search and rescue operations.

Possibly staging a UFO hoax? Shutting down a busy freeway at night?

I feel like if he had spent 30 seconds addressing how he uses it (other than disrupting the activities of hundreds of nocturnal animals) I would be a lot less salty about this.

19 Likes

The animals are temporarily blinded and stand still, making it easier for hunters to kill them.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Yeah, running 24/7. You’d need storage batteries to even out peak loads.

4 Likes

Next: lasers!

Is there a legitmate function this array fulfills?

2 Likes

We did this in Texas in the 70s when gigging bullfrogs at night, but for forest critters? That’s incredibly lame

giphy (8)

5 Likes

14 Likes

Technically yes, if you want to burn a small fortune on gasoline and live with a couple of lawnmower engines in your house that run all the time all day every day.

5 Likes

Well, I didn’t see that coming!

2 Likes

My state has a lot of roads without street lights. Deer and other animals attempting to cross those roads at night is a major hazard with few tech solutions available. So, drivers keep getting brighter headlights and hoping that’ll make the wildlife run away from traffic.

Hopefully, none of the people I know who have night blindness will see what this guy did and get ideas, or I’ll have to start doing this after sunset… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It’s not street legal in any state. Even if it’s not prohibited by headlight laws, it’s against the law everywhere to temporarily blind oncoming drivers. Also, it’s only 1800 watts. It replaces the guy’s previous 5kw array, it’s not the 5kw array.

5 Likes

It’s also illegal in most states. Deer hunters still do it tho as it’s difficult to prove.
Doubly illegal to hunt from a vehicle on the road.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Those must be teeny tiny lawnmowers. My* bog-standard pushmower has a 6.75 HP Briggs & Stratton.

*My partner’s, really. I used to mow the lawn with my reel-type, no-engine greeny-weenie mower, but my partner took over, insisting she needed the exercise, and would get huffy when I’d mow. Then mowing got too hard, so she got the gas mower. And so we have slowly slid into suburbia. So far, no leaf blower. We’ve not fallen that far.

7 Likes