Last-minute gift ideas

Eh, it might seem a little braggy, but then (hopefully) he thinks they’re really great books that everyone will enjoy. Besides, it’s perfectly transparent. Same thing with acknowledging the affiliate links, which ought to be standard practice everywhere.

On the other hand, failing to disclose that the Makie™ dolls are the product of your spouse’s business–as Doctorow has usually remembered to do, in the many, many times they’ve been mentioned on BB–isn’t exactly in keeping with the lofty standards of gift guide journalistic best practices.

1 Like

Oh…to speed up the drying. I was never so high tech! We sat there and waited, and we liked it.

Nah, it’s the photo emulsion. Technically you could paint the emulsion onto the screen leaving blank the parts which will be inked but yowza what a pain in the butt and the cost for making a minor mistake is pretty high. If you’ve got access to a bright day, you can do without but I’m usually at work during the best hours of the day for that.

1 Like

It’d like to recommend Kooba, a very unique, new kind of dart game. I invented it with a friend and we’ve been taking it to Maker Faire in SF for a few years in various prototype forms, but now it’s a real thing and we are very excited to share it! Apologies for the shameless promotion.
Kooba - $69.00

1 Like

My brother arrived from the UK today with a bottle of Scotch. As we were about to eat soon, we left it on the counter next to some bananas. Unfortunately, my two year old daughter likes bananas and reached up to grab one while our backs were turned. The bottle fell towards the kitchen tiles that smash anything that falls on them, BUT found my daughter’s foot first. She’s fine, but obviously it hurt at the time. The bottle survived and we were able to open it later this evening. We both feel a bit bad for being secretly glad that our daughter took one for the team, but it is very good Scotch. So, I guess your advice is particularly applicable in our case. I suppose we also owe her a drink in a couple of decades.

3 Likes

It’s fine since it’s obviously the author recommending it. Almost all authors have to self-promote; it’s just part of their brutal business. Those that don’t end up in the poor house. (Those that do often end up in the poor house anyway…)

3 Likes

That looks like a ridiculous amount of fun. xD I’m very tempted.

I concur. Looks like a blast, but US only, so my money apparently isn’t good enough.

1 Like

I really am old-school, then!

opinel knife:
I think if Jason’s blade is developing a patina then it is more likely the carbon steel version.

The Instax 210 Camera.

Remember the SX-70 and other Polaroid cameras that spit out a print that developed in a few mins before your eyes? The Instax does that.
The film comes out of the camera body and develops in a full light quickly.
Instax 210 camera link

It’s great fun at parties to take pictures and have instant hard copies. You also tend to take pictures more carefully when your burning a print instead of eletcrons.

If you happen to have an old Land Series Camera that uses the flat pack film…Fuji is also making the ‘pull apart’ poloroid film that fits those models.
No I don’t work for Fuji…if I did, I’d tell them they have sucky customer support.
I love the camera but getting them to replace a 10 cent battery cover part that was DOA was and still is pain the ass.

2 Likes

I had a silk screen kit in the 80’s. Here’s what I remember.

I’d take some artwork to a copy place and have it printed on transparent acatate sheets. Very high contrast type stuff.

Then you coat the silk screen with a photo reactive goop. The parts and put your transparency over that…and let it bake under lights or bright sun. The sun baked bits would harden up. The dark bits…you wash it out under running water.

Then you squeezee the ink throught he screen onto paper.

Repeat with various colors…and multiple screens made to each color.

1 Like

I’ll go on to sing the advantages of hard copy film prints.

We take thousands of pictures with our cell phones, etc. But most of those never see the hard copy.

I’ve known people that have lost entire decades of memory from HD crash. Yes, back it up…but really you’re going to do that for decades and generations,

A shoebox full of Polaroids and film prints is a priceless time capsule of memories.

If you have a old polaroid in the closet that takes ‘flat pack’ type film. Fuji is making the film again. The type you peel apart.

But be warned…that film really needs a flash and ebay bulbs.

2 Likes

Maybe I missed this somewhere… But is Boingboing concerned about workers rights at Amazon?enter link description here

1 Like

In a sense, this is the embodiment of old, obsolete tech, but Nikon D7000, body only, for $525 plus tax-- Cyber Monday)

There are plenty of things that I don’t like about Amazon, including that, but avoiding all contact with them is actually very hard.

1 Like

Maybe good prints are timeless, but most of the Polaroids from my youth aren’t doing so well. They fade horribly.

Is it just em losing my mind or does the list reorder itself every time I navigate away and then back? I you trying to give us a hard time or what?

They do it on purpose. My guess is that they get a Christmas bonus depending on who nets the most sales, and randomizing the list makes it unbiased.

But yes, it’s very annoying if you go back to it…

1 Like

Almost all film from the 70’s faded. Even movie stock…if you’ve seen movies old movies from the late 60’s and 70’s they can be red shifted and washed out. Fahrenheit 451 was badly ‘red shifted’…but it’s restored now.

If you’re speaking of Polaroids from the 70’s that were the SX-70 type. Those did fade. I have some from the mid 70’s and they’re just slightly yellow shifted.
The ones I have from the 80’s are still bright and happy.

The ‘flat pack film’ peel apart film was pretty rock solid especially the black and white film. I don’t know how well the new fuji film will hold up…but fuji really knows their film.