Last 'Taco Tuesday' trademark vacated

Originally published at: Last 'Taco Tuesday' trademark vacated | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Um, could I have the money instead, peepaw?”

8 Likes

“The phrase should certainly not be registered as a trademark”

I’m not certain as to why. There are other phrases that are registered as trademarks (“Just do it!”, “We have the meats”, etc), so certainly registration of it was correct at the time. Sure, it has entered the common parlance now, such as “dumpster” has, so I don’t know as an argument for enforce-ability could still be made.

4 Likes

Are we allowed to get Freaky on Fridays yet without facing legal injunctions or lawsuits from the Walt Disney Corporation?

5 Likes

It’s Gregorys all the way down.

5 Likes

The general argument is either that taco tuesday predates any corporate use of it by the companies that eventually trademarked it, or that it has become a truly generic term no-one reasonably associates with any company. The specific argument is that Taco John’s had a marketing campaign encouraging others to use it in the 70s, and then weaponized their trademark.

5 Likes

Taco John’s, Taco Bell. White man’s faux tacos. I can’t believe nobody has pursued the valid argument that tacos from real mexican taquerias are a completely different scope for trademark purposes.

How many taquerias would have the cash to argue that?

See also: Monster

1 Like

Yeah, but you lose the fun alliteration if you call it “Martes Tacos.” “Martes Margaritas” maybe?

1 Like

Maybe he’s Welsh.

2 Likes

dik dik wink GIF

7 Likes

Unsolicited Richard Richards pic? :thinking:

4 Likes

Two words: Taco Thursday.

Um…Not alliterative, thus useless. Also, taco does not rhyme with Thor. Does it in German?

… “Taco Donnerstag” :thinking:

Döner Donnerstag. I can get behind that.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. I mean, it certainly has entered common parlance at this point. Whether or not it was trademark-able originally, it certainly has no real value now.

Yup, but plenty of bars in Chicago used to have Thirsty Thursday specials…

1 Like

And every college town in the midwest!

1 Like