๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคก๐Ÿคก Late Stage GOP ASSHATS Events ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿพ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿคก๐Ÿคก

Thanks for posting that graphic.
It says a lot.

That article clarifies (for me) the impacts of what a more predominantly โ€œredโ€ U.S. would mean, for all of us who live here, were all the :tangerine: :clown_face: wannabees to come to power in their state elections.

Folks these days discuss Roe v Wade โ€œisland statesโ€ (which might be blue states but WTFK in the 2020s) where wimmin might still be able to get an abortion after the fall of federal protections.

Now I am thinking about island states wrt science-anchored healthcare, intelligent and fact-based health policies, budgeting of state monies for evidence-based protocols and best management practices, inside a particular stateโ€™s borders. So like, even more island-y than wimminโ€™s healthcare and abortion.

Maybe people used to or perhaps still retire to Florida for the weather.

Hereโ€™s a possible trendspotting moment: considering where to retire based on a stateโ€™s or countyโ€™s (etc.) robust imperviousness to MAGA-branded The Cruelty Is the Pointโ„ข and relentless and often petty violence against poors.

I could be kidding myself.
If MAGA-ism seizes power in the U.S., itโ€™s hard to say how long pockets of resistance will be able to remainโ€ฆ resistant.

11 Likes

yeah. mcconnellโ€™s already calling for a nationwide abortion ban. im sure theyโ€™d remove the filibuster to get it, and that the current court would uphold it ( tho biden would veto for as long as heโ€™s around ). states rights for me and not for thee, and all that

even without that, itโ€™s often said california has more republicans than many red states. and places like oregon and washington both have significant white supremacists areas. you can already see the balkanization happening at the country level with school board rhetoric and abortion clinic protests

the more power they get, the more theyโ€™ll try to take

15 Likes

Republican resigns from Congress after revelation of sexual misconduct committed against lobbyist, immediately finds new employment atโ€ฆ a lobbying firm.

16 Likes

:roll_eyes:

14 Likes
20 Likes

Republican cannibal race theory.

13 Likes

Good thing the Jesus Guns Babies lady is polling at barely anything. Iโ€™m guessing that itโ€™s going to be Kemp going up against Abrams again in November.

6 Likes

So it just occurred to me that with many states planning to criminalize abortion from the moment of fertilization, that means that even a woman who just happens to be driving through the state on the way to somewhere else could potentially be charged with murder if she happens to have an IUD. (Say she was in a car accident or other unexpected medical issue and the hospital found the IUD)

11 Likes

Also, coming to the congress, thanks to McConnellโ€ฆ

10 Likes

Mod it so that it can fire a tiny bullet, call it a gun, and get a concealed carry permit.

11 Likes

Sheโ€™d have a HIPPA lawsuit against the hospital, for one thing. HIPPA is federal.

5 Likes

Maybe so, but thatโ€™s likely to happen long after the arrest and anything that occurs until sheโ€™s released. Members of the GOP donโ€™t care about bodily autonomy for anyone, if it stands in the way of their goals. Weโ€™ve seen that in the past when it comes to creating more criminals to fuel their for-profit prison systems.

In a world where police perform illegal cavity searches and/or demand that doctors perform procedures on people without their consent, I share your concerns about this:

17 Likes

If only these revolving doors were like real ones - wouldnโ€™t it be nice to see a politician get stuck in one?

9 Likes
11 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

17 Likes

The bill was doomed to fail with or without his support since it would have needed 60 votes but at least now everyone is on record. I just hope Democrats remember how Manchin voted next time thereโ€™s a primary challenger for his Senate seat.

13 Likes

It wonโ€™t make a difference, as far as the party is concerned.

As the news of the Supreme Court leak broke, Pelosi was confirming support for Henry Cuellar, an anti-choice Democrat, over his primary challenger, Jessica Cisneros.

Theyโ€™re more interested in protecting each other and their own power than they are in protecting us.

17 Likes

16 Likes

I donโ€™t think itโ€™s useful to even think of him as being a Democrat at all. More of an โ€œoccasional allyโ€ on certain issues. But honestly, given that West Virginia voted for Trump in 2020 at a greater than 2:1 margin, maybe a โ€œsometimes allyโ€ is the best we can hope for from that state at the moment. Only Wyoming is Trumpier. (Plus Manchinโ€™s seat wonโ€™t be on the ballot again until 2024, so there are more pressing senate elections this year)

Personally I think the data shows weโ€™re more likely to gain good democratic Senators from just about any other state. Not that we shouldnโ€™t also fight for one in WV, but it may not be the place to focus the majority of our energy and resources. For example, Biden won Maine by over 9 points. Surely the Democrats can win Collinsโ€™ seat?

Edit to add:
In the 2022 Senate election both Wisconsin and Pennsylvania have Republicans defending seats in states that Biden won in 2020. Certainly opportunity there.

10 Likes

Thatโ€™s an accurate assessment. I have pointed out previously that Manchin is only reelected in WV based on his name and family. The MAGAts would love to replace him, but canโ€™t get past his machine. Probably the best we can do there. The only answer I can see is to flip a couple other seats to take away his power.

15 Likes