Lauren Boebert and Elon Musk call to defund NPR

Imagine how Elon Musk’s various businesses would handle losing government subsidies.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

7 Likes

14 Likes

If you haven’t had a chance to see the documentary Won’t You Be My Neighbor? about Fred Rogers it’s a good watch. There’s a clip from a 1969 Senate hearing led by Senator John Pastore, a hard-ass budget hawk who had all but signed the death sentence for funding PBS. When Fred Rogers finally had his turn to speak he made a short but impassioned statement that basically flipped Pastore around 180 degrees in a matter of minutes. It was like watching a real-life version of the Grinch’s heart growing three sizes.

I’m afraid I have a difficult time imagining a similar spiritual awakening from Boebert or Musk.

20 Likes

Boebert joined in, tweeting, “I’ve been saying that for quite some time! Let’s get it done!”

This bobblehead clown a) has no idea how to “get it done” and b) is only interested in doing that, or anything else for the sole purpose of getting guest spots on Carlson’s show and keeping those fat donations rolling in.

8 Likes

If you promise not to donate to npr will Elon give you a high quality tote bag? How did he expect this defunding to work?

9 Likes

It’s my understanding that local affiliates get around 13% so they’ll end up likely throwing locals across the country out of work.

4 Likes

I think you have to have a soul for that to happen. No danger of that here.

10 Likes

Yes what seems to have changed is that Republicans used to disagree, but still had sincerely differing opinions about how to govern. They don’t even try to debate actual governance any more. They just want to burn everything down and murder everyone they don’t like. Every argument they make now is a disingenuous one intended to do one of those two things- burn something down or get someone killed.

8 Likes

FWIW Senator John Pastore was a Democrat and Fred Rogers was a Republican.

So yeah, I think it’s safe to say the parties have changed quite a bit since the 60s…

11 Likes

Hah! I had no idea. Things really have changed.

4 Likes

Yup. It’s very telling that Obama’s favorite President was the first Republican POTUS while Trump’s favorite President (well, second-favorite) was the first Democratic POTUS.

4 Likes

For a two party system, those wacky Americans sure have made it complicated :smile:

My glass house is full of throwing-size stones though. The BC Liberals were the provincial Conservative Party in British Columbia. Just last week they finally voted to change the name after decades of confusing everyone who moves here.

6 Likes

Yep, at least as far back as Lincoln, who (I imagine you know) was a Republican.

Trying to explain in a succinct way how Democrats and Republicans basically switched sides really ain’t easy!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.