Laurie Penny at the DNC: "Dissent will not be tolerated. Protest will not be permitted."

Remind me again of what political offices she’s held to qualify her to run a country?

Besides that, we all know that she’s not even a spoiler. Third parties don’t work in America. That’s the whole reason Sanders went to the Dems.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t vote for her because I think she has any chance of winning.

If the Greens can get up to five percent, then they’ll get more public money for the party.

Real progress is slow, but that’s no reason not to push for it.

10 Likes

That’s not a binary proposition though. What “they’re likely to get” is the first women president, a lifelong advocate and worker for human rights, an outspoken proponent of gun control, women’s rights, healthcare reform… and a professional politician with a hawkish mindset and a history of playing fast and loose with the truth when it suits her.

You can choose to dwell on the negatives and potential negatives for any candidate–and those don’t just include their stand on issues, but things like their likelihood of actually winning, and their practical chances of being effective once in office.

At this stage, regarding Clinton, I really don’t see the point of all the relentless pessimism about her. She’s the candidate. She’s not perfect by any means but she’s not any where near the shitstorm of a human being people make her out to be either.

6 Likes

To paraphrase Matt Stone, “I hate Trump, but I really fucking hate Clinton.”

(I’ve already been banned from Breitbart and Free Republic because I won’t fellate combover boy.)

2 Likes

But the DNC didn’t abolish the superdelegate system by which they choose (preordain) their candidates and didn’t allow the Sanders supporters’ anti-TPP language in the platform, among others. How do you explain Tim Kaine writing a letter to banks urging the loosening of regulations if the Clinton campaign truly embraced any of the Wall Street reforms the Sanders supporters sought?

6 Likes

I prefer “realism,” thanks. If people vote for her with their eyes more open to the bowl of shit that they’re about to eat, at least some of them are more likely later to push harder next time for the chance to vote for a bowl of cereal.

11 Likes

Those are all fine points, though I just agree with them as major concerns, since you’re not disagreeing with me.

Hey, now. That’s going a bit far.

A combover consists of a person’s natural hair. They don’t deserve that insult.

2 Likes

Clinton says tons of stuff I agree with. Not everything, of course, and whether I believe her all the time is another matter entirely–but what she says more often than not are things I very much agree with.

4 Likes

Right now “Choice” is resting on a razors edge.

1 Like

The DNC is as much about fearmongering as the RNC. That is the tool by which they keep progressives in line with their centrist, warhawk candidates without capitulating any real reform or incorporating true progressive ideals. All they have to do is present a Republican boogeyman, invoke the lesser evil argument, and blame progressives if they lose.

14 Likes

It is good that she has polls in order to know what to say and when to flip positions (like on gay marriage, war in Iraq, the TPP, federal minimum wage, and many other things).

9 Likes

Are they still citing weird science to be against GMOs?

2 Likes

No platform is “binding”. They’re the planks and promises that the party has adopted as part of its official pledge. They’re free to discard it or wad it in a ball if they want to; the “penalty” will be loss of trust from the people who elected them.

I haven’t bought anyone’s “razzle dazzle”; I’ve listened to what they have to say and agree with the ideas that come out of their mouths. Given the realistic option of the two major parties, the choice isn’t exactly difficult: promises of progress versus promises of dismantling progress. I’d rather throw my lot in with the people promising progress. And if everything they’re saying is a lie, well, more fool me, eh?

6 Likes

They most certainly are. They’re also citing GMOs as a reason to be averse to vaccines.

2 Likes

What we’re not going to get is someone who will reverse our economic decline and put poor Americans back to work. These are the same poor Americans who are going more and more right wing because their lives have collapsed and they have no hope. They’ll just continue to line up to vote for the next Trump unless someone actually does things to help them. Do you think our Neoliberal leadership on the “left” is going to do so?

5 Likes

I dunno, but I have a better question. When is the last time you found anything in life that was both complicated and absolutely in every way perfect?

3 Likes

When realism ignores the positives and only emphasizes the negatives, it’s more aptly referred to as “pessimism”.

3 Likes

What makes you think that what comes out of their mouths has anything to do with what they’ll do once elected?

6 Likes

WHEN AH MARRIED MAH WIF!

10 Likes