Lavabit's owner threatened with arrested for shutting down rather than spying on customers

Everybody dies in the end.
Don’t fear the machine.
Fight the good fight.
It’s worth living for.
There is nowhere to flee to.
And our peers are swelling.

1 Like

Precisely my point. I would laugh at the comical nature of this, if it weren’t for my fear of what’s to come next. Next up: round up all the “security experts”, “cryptographers”, “hackers”, “inquiring minds”, “those who oppose the regime, err administration”, etc.

(Ok that’s way over the top, but I’m trying to make a point. Incidentally, if you see it, please let me know, because I’ve really lost my point).

3 Likes

In some ways I hope they are arrested. This will get them into the courts and hopefully up to the Supreme Court, who could theoretically put some checks and balances on National Security Letters and the like. It’s clear that neither the Executive branch nor the Legislative have any interest in curbing these abuses, so its up to the Judiciary to protect the public.

Well, that part’s always fun. But in an era of perpetual war there’s a lot more to be made.

1 Like

You really think the administration is going to let this be decided in a “public” court?
I’m thinking secret tribunals, everything gagged and redacted, all while Obama is paying lip service to the population and saying “you shouldn’t be worried if you have nothing to hide”.

5 Likes

Presuming they don’t simply disappear.

Or maybe, after two years of pretrial confinement, in solitary, on suicide watch, Ladar Levinson will apologize for the hurt he caused his country.

6 Likes

One thing that’s not evident from the sketchy information in the article is just what the US Attorney is not-quite asserting Levison did that was in violation of the court order. I can think of at least two possibilities:

• He shut down his company. Everyone has been focusing on that one, and
    I agree with all the comments, if that’s the case, and have nothing to add.
  • He posted about
    why he shut down his company. I wonder if that posting could be
    interpreted as being in violation of the gag order. While I happen to
    think those gag orders ought to be declared unconstitutional, I
    haven’t seen any discussion of the possibility that if he had
    just posted “I’m shutting down the company, kthanxbye” there would have
    been no alleged violation.

We probably won’t know what’s what unless the US Attorney moves on from vague bullying and actually brings charges. Assuming the charges aren’t brought in a secret court, sob.

4 Likes

Does ackack remind us with every article that he’s a professional writer?

PSA: It’s not too late to donate to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund.

Just go to Lavabit.com and look for the link at the very bottom of the notice.

Every little bit helps, and comes with the thrill of knowing your donation might get you added to a watch list.

4 Likes

But we haven’t got either.

1 Like

Very interesting, my senator is out of the country and is in “Asia”. My rep just got back from the Middle East. The senator is not taking any calls in Washington and his local office doesn’t know what it going on. The rep’s Washington office is taking calls but the rep isn’t doing town halls and will not be available until after September. We had a, “The rep needs to do his job.”, talks. I’m one of the fortunate ones who’s representative gets big money from Def/Intel. Lucky me.

It like elected officials have checked out.

1 Like

You’re quoting Heinlein lol.

2 Likes

Damn paypal, I’ll planning to send my support.

Shame on the big companies, too. They should be standing up for the small businesses and protecting them. Where is teahole when you need him!!! America.Is.A.Laughable.Shithole!

2 Likes

Maybe his next one will be set 14 years in the future with the country-less 13 year olds conceived and born in airport hotels come of age and … well he can write the rest

5 Likes

naw, stay. We mutants will make it worth your while.

It’s the August recess right now. Your representatives HAVE checked out.

2 Likes

Mold grows in the dark. What this needs is daylight. And the NSA knows that.

certainly not Xbox 1’s…

TOR is useless: half the exit nodes were run by a company the FBI just shut down, and the other half are equally divided between NSA, Chinese intel, Euro intel and the occasional privacy advocate.

Time for someone to rebuild the internet on secure technology. The Freenet guys were trying, but it’s harder than it looks.