Lawmaker admits not independently researching lobbyist's claim that ectopic fetuses could be reimplanted in the uterus, blames medical journals

Perhaps doctors should transplant the ectopic fetuses into the bellies of the lawmakers who voted for this bill.

15 Likes

The first indication is when they get a political organization like “Right to Life Action Coalition of Ohio” (or like “ALEC”) to write their legislation for them.

8 Likes

Some people should be aborted post facto.

2 Likes

Fundamentalists christians explicitly teach against critical thinking and against questioning any kind of authority. So of course this guy saw a couple of articles in medical journals and assumed they were good facts. He does the same with the bible.

Again and again we see that religious people don’t know how to think clearly, and how they demonize anyone who appears to be better at thought than they are. It’s all part of the package. They couldn’t be religious fundamentalists otherwise.

15 Likes

Holding my hand out for bribes takes a lot of time.

You can’t possibly expect me to research the laws I’m passing!

3 Likes

There are more details in this article:

The 1917 article was reprinted in a 1995 issue of The Linacre Quarterly, described by wikipedia as “the official journal of the Catholic Medical Association.”

We aren’t dealing with individual idiots. We’re dealing with folks who have wasted their intellectual talents on a shared fantasy universe.

6 Likes

Your sweeping generalizations are incorrect. I have relatives who are Christian fundamentalists. One was both a high school physics teacher and electronic engineer, who held patents. Another is an electrical engineer. Both are excellent at math and is/were good at their jobs. And I have met other engineers who were also religious fundamentalists. They wouldn’t have been able to hold down their jobs if they couldn’t think critically. Nor did they “demonize anyone who appear[ed] better at thought” than them, and they weren’t against questioning authority. It depended on the situation.

Now how you can be a science teacher and an electrical engineer and a Christian fundamentalist at the same time is beyond me.

I’m not trying to defend their beliefs. But when you start making sweeping generalizations about people with those beliefs, you’re usually going to end up being wrong.

5 Likes

“They’re great critical thinkers except for all these important things about the nature of the universe and reality.”
Sounds a lot to me like, they’re not great critical thinkers. Just capable of doing it as long as it doesn’t make them uncomfortable. Which isn’t really very critical thinking.

15 Likes

critical thinking may well be weird.

They’re good critical thinkers about some things and not about others. They have a tendency to view the world in black and white. Doesn’t mean they “explicitly teach against critical thinking” or “don’t know how to think clearly,” as @Edgar_Carpenter wrote.

Like I wrote, I don’t defend their religious fundamentalist beliefs.

1 Like

He looked for excuses, not facts, to do what he wanted all along, just like with the bible.

5 Likes

I was a bit astonished to see that the 1917 article was a case report from a surgeon who actually replanted an ectopic pregnancy. And a second report from a much later surgeon who claimed to have done the same. This seems weird, as the foetus has to grow a connection with the blood system, and it is surely hard to unweave this connection and patch it in somewhere else. This is what makes ectopic pregnancies almost universally fatal for the carrier if they go to term.

However the explanation probably comes later in the same article…

The ole switcharoo, eh? Transplant baby, and Presto! a baby comes out, but not the same one. Suddenly, this isn’t magic any longer.

We don’t know that this is what happened back in 1917, but it does seem likely.

Don’t let this detract from the achievement of the original 1917 surgeon. What he was trying to do seemed viable by the standards of the day. The mother lived and had a baby. It’s ghastly, but medicine would not have got where it is today without hundreds of years of doctors interfering in childbirth, and probably doing a worse job than a midwife in the majority of cases.

4 Likes

Being able to do math and solve engineering issues isn’t necessarily critical thinking. Critical thinking is checking various explanations and figuring out which one is most likely true. It requires examining conflicting stories about phenomena, seeing which one does the best job and accepting it, even if that means changing your belief about the world.
Refusing to change your belief about the world even when presented with evidence that you are wrong is the proof that your critical thinking skills have failed.

12 Likes

It’s called compartmentalization. Dont try it, its a killer.

7 Likes

Lazy F—ing a55holes introduce and pass legislation that they don’t know sh1t about, and then expect the public to live (or die) by those rules. I wonder where Dante would place them? For that matter, I wonder if any Republican ever heard of Occam’s Razor?

Incidentally, 1928 was the first year when statistically a person in the US had a better chance of getting better (healing) if he saw a doctor vs staying home.

4 Likes

For that matter, I’d love to see these right-wing fanatics practice medicine on themselves. Conservatism has produced as many quacks as has greed and laziness.

2 Likes

I should note that “official journal of the Catholic Medical Association” doess not mean that it covers the same things as The New England Journal of Medicine or JAMA. The closest it gets is Bioethics-- and that means arguing that e.g “Birth control is unethical.”

Good for opposition research and little else.

6 Likes

GOP + Lawmaker + Stupid + Lobbyist = WeAreFucked

3 Likes

Compartmentalization, that must be it. Without getting too personal, I can tell you from experience that when you talk politics to a religious fundie type (not recommended), often many of their views don’t even make common sense. It’s like, “Huh? Did you even think that through?”

More on topic, the big danger of electing a religious fundie type to a position of power is that they will often try to legislate their morality. I’d bet Mr. Ohio Legislator doesn’t care whether his law is scientifically feasible or not; he just wants to put the fear of God a jail sentence into anyone who condones anything that even looks like an abortion.

3 Likes

I’m compartmentalizing right now!

11 Likes