"LawnTok" features mesmerizing videos of folks mowing lawns, trimming trees, blowing leaves, and more

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/23/lawntok-features-mesmerizing-videos-of-folks-mowing-lawns-trimming-trees-blowing-leaves-and-more.html

You can watch these while you’re not playing Lawn Mowing Simulator.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to send videos of me not mowing my lawn or trimming my trees, even though i really should do something about them. Is that a genre?

2 Likes

There’s a subset of LawnTok of people providing free lawn care for those who can’t do it themselves and have seriously overgrown property. Watching it go from jungle-like to neat and tidy tickles my brain in the right way.

5 Likes

Yes. This. I don’t watch a ton of them, but I have seen a few and this is one trend for attention I can get behind.

I’d rather see 100 of these where they are helping people who can’t do it, than 1 of some rich guy who paid for fancy zig zag patterns in his yard.

Also, am I the only one who just does tighter and tighter circles? That’s how my dad told me to mow and that’s how I have always done it. Never cared about doing lines or anything.

2 Likes
1 Like

Depends which side the discharge is.

I once had a large square-ish area and a ride-on with no collector. So I used to start in the middle and circle outwards 'cos the discharge was on the right and I preferred to go anti-clockwise. Moved all the cut grass cuttings to the outside.

(Yeah, used to have to stop about half way out to rake up a pile when the mower found the moved clippings and the grass cutting a bit much.)

1 Like

I started in the days before mulching mowers, and so I would circle inwards, kicking the grass in. Yes, towards the end you would have a few lines to go back over to further cut up/disperse the clippings.

When I had a larger yard with a riding mower, it was less of an issue, but I still did it that way.

1 Like

I wonder if there’s a TikTok channel for people returning lawns to something worthwhile? Ripping out those planet killers and replacing invasive, water-sucking grass with native plants, for instance? :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s way’s good if your area’s boundaries are paved.
I did it the other way because the area’s boundaries were unmown, pushing the clippings to the edge was immediate disposal, really, with no need to gather up.

1 Like

BBC Gardner’s World seemed to have someone who’d done this every other episode for a while.

Yeah, I would have to contend with the street, or blowing it into a neighbors yard. Actually, now that I think about it, with the riding mower I would blow it in for the first couple passes, and then go the other direction and blow it out. Do one pass in the street to blow any clippings back into my yard.

1 Like

There’s more than one! I follow this guy (he’s local, if the name doesn’t give it away)

cued up to “Lawn Mowing Simulator”. Pat Gill is an amazing writer,

7NLA-ezgif.com-optimize

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.