Lawsuit alleges Subway tuna sandwich contains no tuna, or fish for that matter

6 ounces is the magical number, apparently. You might be well below that for a sub, as 6oz. is 3 cans of fish.

3 Likes

Band Name!!

13 Likes

I’m not convinced that it’s a substitution, but I imagine some kind of wood pulp could be a passable imitation, with the right flavors added.
Don’t know if it’s true, but a HS chemistry teacher told us the strawberries in strawberry yogurt were wood with artificial flavoring.

1 Like

Of course the tuna is wild-caught. Tuna is not raised in captivity.

Relatively few fish are. (Tilapia, catfish, and some/most salmon being the most prominent.)

Really the fish where it’s most useful to draw this distinction is salmon. Or expanding to more seafoods, wild-caught Gulf shrimp versus aquaculture shrimp.

4 Likes

Dolphin is neither tuna nor fish.

6 Likes

So long and thanks for all the - wait, what’s in this sandwich!?

11 Likes

that’s a good point but too disturbing for a “like”

3 Likes

Yep. Unfortunately, it was my first thought when I read that “the ingredients were not tuna and not fish.”

1 Like

Tuna is regularly farmed these days. Though breeding them in captivity is difficult/not practical. There are a few operations using hormone implants to get them to spawn. But for the most part you are looking at juvenile fish netted while young and raised to market weight in open water pens.

It’s actually worse for stocks than wild catches as it removes young fish from the breeding pool before they can mature and replace themselves. And it’s not done for the species usually canned (Skipjack and Albacore. But only for high value Tuna like Blue Fin for sale into the high end market. Particularly for the sushi market.

5 Likes

I remember being really thrown when I read “Kon Tiki” and they kept mentioning catching and eating dolphin. Turns out, that’s another term for mahi-mahi. Very confusing.

5 Likes

Couldn’t possibly be dolphin. Mammal meat doesn’t really flake.

Dolphinfish maybe? That is more expensive than Tuna though.

1 Like

Ah, gtk

Somewhere, some plucky, little ad agency is coming up with a pitch for Subway and Arnie on this. Plan B, he’s the new Gorton’s fisherman.

I’m pretty sure Subway anything isn’t what it claims to be. One of these days they’re going to find out that it was all a mass hallucination and the employees were just miming making sandwiches with their hands.

2 Likes

Another day, another story about how horrible fast food is.

So, Subway ingredients come from the Lost island?

1 Like

The part where the lawsuit didn’t go into details about what they did find was a yellow flag for me.

I’ve not had a Subway tuna sub in many years so I’m not going to go out on a limb defending them, but this lawsuit has a big burden of proof to satisfy before I take it too seriously.

4 Likes

That does seem suspicious. Some class action filings are attempts at settlement shakedowns and I have to wonder if this is one of those.

2 Likes

Sorta like Doublemeat Palace, then?

2 Likes

the tuna is also wild-caught, too boot.

Wild-caught, too much boot? Wild caught, too German boat-like?

Plus, the meaning is obscure, to boot.

@frauenfelder

1 Like