Lawsuit: sicko Sheriff ordered 900 teens groped in illegal mass-frisking at school

Sheriff: Where’s your flair? You need to have at least 15 pieces of flair.

8 Likes

Leaving aside the sexual assault aspect for a moment, what about the health risks here? If_any_ person involved had a communicable disease - and what are the odds nobody in a group that large has clap etc - then most have now been exposed. I’m not seeing much likelihood that medical grade gloves were properly used and replaced for each grope. Err, inspection. No, wait, I mean assault.

7 Likes

I got lost in the quantum realm, hopefully the original Wasp will find it.

4 Likes

“I’m okay with them doing the search, if it was done appropriately like the school has done in the past,” said father of two Jonathan Luke. “But when they put their hands on my son, that’s crossing the line.”

sUe the Force, Luke!

6 Likes

No drugs were found. Not a scrap.

Nor would their discovery have begun to warrant this disgusting exercise.

15 Likes

No kidding! I can’ imagine any sample of 900 humans where none of them have any illicit drugs (including the range of legal prescription drugs the school probably doesn’t allow on its premises)

1 Like

After all, it’s his Hobby. :scream:

2 Likes

Why is that pupils in the US seem to lose every civil/human right as soon as they enter the school building? We had cases of overzealous surveillance (laptops spying on children even at home), various cases of mindless zero-tolerance bullshit, illegal searches and now sexual violence.
Pupils are in a eerily similar situations as prisoners in the US.

12 Likes

Just wait till they’re all privatized.

God this is multiple assault is disgusting.

4 Likes

The article also mentions 13 “target” students, only 3 of whom were in school that day, which also seems like a statistical anomaly. Maybe someone tipped the students off.

2 Likes

Because the police culture (especially in the US) is highly authoritarian, and with the increasing militarisation of the police (including preferential hiring towards veterans who have been pre-trained in that sense) it’s only getting worse.

Obedience is paramount in authoritarian regimes. So is overwhelming people so they learn not to think, let alone question openly. Loyalty is constantly tested and the punishment for doubt, severe. No cop wants to go through their day wondering if their call for assistance will be ignored, but that is one thing that has been known to happen, justified as “why should we have your back, when you don’t have ours?” Throw into that some of the only unions with real power and member support left (just try telling LEOs that they should abandon unions and see how far you get thrown), and those internal consequences and pressures to conform become more powerful than external threats like prosecution.

Outside of dismantling the entire system and rebuilding from scratch, I don’t know what the solution is, just that it’s obvious that there is no quick and easy measure that will have any effect. Especially not with the amount of shielding they’ve now got at the highest levels.

8 Likes

Read just now a pretty sweet story of a little girl who loves police officers and set up a lemonade stand to buy herself a police costume. I am somewhat apprehensive posting it here considering the story of “searching” hundreds of students. But i just wanted to share a positive story i happened to run across.

1 Like

Yeah, I wanted to be a cop when I was a young kid because of the COPS animated series. Fortunately, Iron Eagle came out and I lived on an Air Force Base so then I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Even more fortunately, I realized how terrible a career in the military or law enforcement would be for me.

5 Likes

Because we live in a Police State, and have for years.

11 Likes

From the Worth County Schools Superindendent’s Message page:
Interim Superintendent of Worth County School District
Dr. Larry Walters
(emphasis mine)
and a picture. No other message.

Any guesses whether this gets him hired permanently or quietly replaced?

5 Likes

So these cops are not only too stupid to realize that rummaging through the underclothing of teenagers without due cause is likely to get them in trouble, they are actually, literally, too incompetent to find a joint or an illicit Ritalin in a High School.

It boggles the mind.

3 Likes

Honest question: what could he have done to prevent this from happening?

1 Like

Called the mayor, the head of the board of education, the governor… and then stalled for time?

Have somebody else anonymously tip off the TV press?

I dunno. It’s a good question, though.

4 Likes

900 teens.

One lawyer handling a class action could retire on this one.

4 Likes

Is that a Disneyland thingy on his left pocket?

2 Likes