Lawyer for kid whose parents paid $1.2m bribe to get into Yale says the high price shows grifters' anti-Chinese bias

Maybe you’re not hearing it, but phrasing it that way, in this case, is racially biased.

It’s not like it was only Chinese families that were caught bribing universities. Making it sound like it’s some exotic Chinese cultural practice ignores that it’s very much a rich white person thing at the same time, to the same degree.

Take a story like, "Black murderers get tougher sentences than white murderers in similar situations." If people’s first reaction is “Maybe black people just like murdering”, or “Yeah, they deserve that extra bit of racism because they’re filthy murderers”; well, those are racist responses.

You don’t have to approve of criminals to say that racism is also happening.

If you’re cheering something racist because it hurts someone you disapprove of, you’re still cheering for racism. That’s true of murderers, con artists, bad people, or super-rich entitled parents.

I don’t think racist treatment by a co-conspirator makes the Chinese parents less guilty than the white parents, but it sure as hell doesn’t make them worse than white parents.

12 Likes

Lawyers will use whatever angle or trope they can to help their clients. They might say that their foreign clients were confused and unaware of the situation, fish out of water in a strange new land, and didn’t even know what a bribe was.

Alternately they might say that in the defendants’ culture, bribes are so common they are just an ordinary way of functioning in every situation, so it wasn’t really criminal in their minds to offer a bribe, they had no intent of doing anything wrong so therefore the punishment should be minimal or none at all. I’ve seen that one work to perfection.

Are these “racist” or at least “culturalist” arguments? Sure, I suppose. But it’s not a lawyer’s job to be politically correct, or take the high road in arguing a case. It’s the lawyer’s job to get their defendant the best outcome possible, even if it means leveraging the jury’s own biases.

2 Likes

Or maybe take the case “International students pay a higher tuition rate at American universities.”

It’s true that the highest proportion of “international students” are Chinese, but if all international students pay a higher rate, is it racism?

Is this supposed to be a trick question?

If all international students pay the same high rate, and it’s simply because they’re international, then it’s most likely not racist, (although it is biased in favor of locals for whatever reason, good or bad).

But if it’s a criminal soaking other criminals based on their race, well yeah, that’s racism, even if all the individual criminals are horrible people.

If the KKK is designed to never have a woman Grand Wizard, that’s still sexism, even though every KKK member should fall in a well.

This is still identical in form to the argument being put forth by the lawyers of the white parents. That they didn’t mean to bribe they just thought that all rich people skirt “guidelines” in the normal course of being rich.

I don’t think it’s a good legal argument, I don’t think it excuses any one. But if the bribery coordinator was racist, it’s okay to call it racist. If a drug dealer loved to give only white people discounted prices, it would be okay to say they looked like a racist drug dealer.

7 Likes

Chinese in this case is in reference to a nationality.

I believe it is reasonable to assume that people from one country, even wealthy people, do not know everything about the customs of another country. I mean that was basically the whole crux of my very long post.

perhaps my comment was too convoluted, but I believe I quite clearly did not imply the Chinese parents should have it worse than anyone else, if anything since I made an argument that could support their attorney’s argument it should follow that I am suggesting they should have it easier.

It’s not like the super rich only bribe universities and those placed to grease admissions for their progeny.

2 Likes

also I should note that there is a very signal difference between the American parents (not all of whom were white I thought?) and the Chinese parents is the Chinese parents paid enough that they could probably have gotten their child in via the normal bribery means or at least were pretty close.

5 Likes

There is a shocking amount of meritocratic bullshit in arguing that university admissions should not prioritize diversity.

4 Likes

That’s all fine. I’m not impugning your motivation.

I’m just saying that if a black family had to pay a country club a higher bribe to get in than a similar white family, that doesn’t make the black family more or less corrupt than a white family.

It would make whoever was taking the bribe, more opportunistically racist.

11 Likes

and I’m saying it might make the black family less corrupt if they came from Denmark and were paying to get into a country club in the U,S because they thought that’s how things are done in the U.S because everything in that place is all about the money, we saw Dallas on TV!

1 Like

Sure, you could totally be right.

My personal guess is that they all knew the score, from whatever country, and that they all knew they were buying college admission over poor people, purely on a pay-to-play basis.

They’re all crooks, but I think the POS bribery coordinator probably soaked Chinese people more than he could have if it was a Russian oligarch’s kid or a French industry baron’s. It’s understandable he would take advantage of the opportunity, being a corrupt criminal, but it was still an “extra profit” opportunity based on a racist foundation.

5 Likes

yes I suppose the guy who took their money is a racist and they screw over poor people, but I also think it might be possible they believed they were screwing over poor people in a way that was within the bounds of US rules or at least norms.

1 Like

I don’t share your speculative certainty. And I also question whether such a privileged group as wealthy Chinese nationals can even be considered to be subject to racism in America.

Yeah, I think the argument essentially is, “They thought this is how you’re supposed to do it here.” Also that they didn’t actually know what was going on - the money they paid was to a non-profit, and they had no interaction with the person at Yale who was actually being bribed. (Certainly those are the kid’s arguments; apparently she didn’t even want to go to Yale but to Columbia, but she claims she thought she didn’t have a choice because of how college admissions worked here.)

From what I’ve read, there are two aspects to college admission in China. Everything, in theory, revolves around one test score, the gaokao, with higher scores determining whether one gets into one’s preferred universities. The scores are all made public, which prevents bribery. However, in order to maximize test scores, parents hire private teachers. Private teachers cost, per hour, about 2% of the average family’s annual wage, so it preferences the wealthy. Also there’s the second aspect - there’s apparently a regional quota for universities (that privilege areas where the ruling elite live), so students from the provinces, regardless of test scores, don’t have the same opportunities. (Then, of course, there’s the issues with biases in testing.) But this makes it one of the more merit-based systems in China (ironically, in this context).

They briefly tried allowing the individual universities to also have admissions tests and interviews (adding to the student’s gaokao score), but parents started bribing college officials, because every other aspect of Chinese interactions with officials is premised on some form of bribery or gift, due to systematic corruption and a tradition of gift giving.

It isn’t though, because of cultural differences. In China, bribes and gifts are an intrinsic part of the system. They may be, to various degrees, illegal, but they’re unavoidable. They’re an expected cost. Someone from China could plausibly have the misconception that some similar system of gift-giving was part of the US college system. Someone living in the US doesn’t reasonably have that expectation.

The fact that the US does have a University gift-giving system that privileges the children of parents who have a couple millions dollars to spend reinforces this division of understandings. The rich Americans were paying too little to take advantage of this accepted form of bribery (and they knew it), but the Chinese family weren’t. The distinction between acceptable and unacceptable bribes was erased by the amount of money being given.

8 Likes

First, I don’t think anyone should be super rich when people are starving. I also think that super rich people are subject to racism especially when compared to other super rich people, relative to each other.

Their standard of living will always be better than I can ever imagine living, but Oprah can get dissed in a way that won’t happen to Rupert Murdoch, even if they can both put a hundred grand on a saltine and eat it.

I agree with you that this is their argument, I don’t think it’s a good one, and I think it’s functionally the same as

It’s the same “We’re naive, we’re not lawyers, we thought this is how it was done.” argument. Making it specifically about some exotic sense of “Chinese cultural differences” doesn’t wash with me when it’s the same argument made by Californians.

5 Likes

See my last paragraph. There’s a world of difference between the two arguments, based on the kind of knowledge both parties would reasonably be expected to have, and the amount of money paid by the Chinese family.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I knew this African-American guy who was part of the privileged group of American Presidents and it was amazing the amount of racism he was exposed to.

8 Likes

Y’know, folks, just because Americans are largely ignorant of the world beyond their borders doesn’t mean that everyone is. All this “maybe they thought this was how it works in America” says more about you, than anyone elsr.

8 Likes

Also kind of ignores the fact that plenty of Chinese people are fed up with bribe culture too and would have similar frustrated reactions as a result. It’s a pretty pervasive human problem.

9 Likes

Yeah, people in China know that corruption is corruption, and that quid pro quo bribes are quid pro quo bribes. It’s not some ungraspable intellectual concept; they hide these transactions from their authorities there too.

Pointing out the prevalence of Chinese corruption doesn’t support that the parents somehow couldn’t understand they might be part of something sketchy. It actually makes it more likely they weren’t clueless dupes.

9 Likes