Le Creuset’s Star Wars roaster features Han Solo in carbonite

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/24/le-creusets-star-wars-roast.html

(Spoilered for needlephobes)

1 Like

?

2 Likes

It just occurred to me that nobody else in the Star Wars universe ever seems to get embedded in carbonite. They seem to put plenty of bad guys in prison cells though, from which they regularly escape. So is this an idea which never caught on? Or was it a one time experiment?

Or was this idea a little bit too useful to be used in subsequent stories? A bit like Larry Niven’s stasis field.

3 Likes

Spoiler:

The Mandalorian has a whole cargo hold full of dudes frozen in carbonite.

9 Likes

Ah thanks

We have reached peak discretionary income for Star Wars fans.

14 Likes

In the trough, taste-wise.

5 Likes

Why’d they cut him off at the knees? :grimacing:

5 Likes

Well, there was that time it happened to Valérian…

3 Likes

Sold out.
Interesting about the dishwasher safe. I just looked on their website and they say that for all their enameled pots and stuff. I have two of them - a Dutch oven and a 7.5 qt bouillabaisse pot - and never even considered that you would put them in the dishwasher…
I treasure and use them all the time, tho. But wash them in the sink. I guarantee my wife would kill me if I put one in the dishwasher.

4 Likes

This was released just to make the Rise of Skywalker look reasonable in comparison.

3 Likes

The pan wasn’t big enough?

1 Like

There is a lot of Latin alphabet English in the first Star Wars film, most famously that syringe that has “British Made” and Arabic numbers printed on it.

Aurebesh didn’t appear until ROTJ.

3 Likes

Some of that stuff was retconned out in the Special Editions.

Aurebesh_2004

5 Likes

Gen-X problems.

No pension for Gen-X, but y’all can buy Star Wars cast iron cookware?

A lot of things call themselves dishwasher safe when they aren’t. Most stainless steel kitchen knives are labeled that way even though dishwashers are a fast way to a dull, chipped knife whatever they’re made out of.

There’s enough exposed cast iron on one of these to make the dishwasher a bad idea. And knocking against stuff in the dishwasher can chip the enamel. Stuff’s fairly durable but it’s glass effectively.

3 Likes

And in non-Latin alphabets, Darth Vader had Hebrew lettering on his chest plate.

4 Likes

I never noticed that!
But then I was 12 when it came out and I was too overwhelmed by all the cool stuff going on to look for details.
Man, being 12. Going to see a film without knowing too much about it in advance, willing suspension of disbelieve in overdrive, being totally blown away, that was the life.
Today I wonder whether there were little stickers on the props that said The parts falling off this Star Destroyer are of the finest Imperial quality.

3 Likes

I remember being filled with glee (during late 90’s Smithsonian Star Wars exhibit) spotting a Champion spark plug logo near the front of the Millenium Falcon.

Much of the greebling on the model consisted of parts of other COTS models. There is an online database that gathered together (many of?) the donor kits.

3 Likes