Le Maille makes wildly cool “phenakistowheels” that create animations as a bike's wheels spin

Originally published at: Le Maille makes wildly cool "phenakistowheels" that create animations as a bike's wheels spin | Boing Boing

4 Likes

That’s not going to show the animation in broad daylight. you need a strobe effect, either flickering artificial light or a video camera.

6 Likes

That’s funny - I could have sworn I saw a video of him riding the bike and then spinning the wheel in broad daylight. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Exactly, you saw a video of it. In person it’d just look like a blur.

5 Likes

not going to show the animation in broad daylight.

I think the word “show” is doing a lot of work in that first comment, then.
If they mean that’s not what it would look like to the naked eye, then say that. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

From the comments on Instagram from the creator.

5 Likes

It sounds like it’s just an understandable misunderstanding, but they did specifically say

I thought it was a worthwhile point. My first thought was “I want one of those!”, and then after a little bit I was like waaaait a minute…

Clearly this artist isn’t tricking anyone, but I could imagine someone seeing these videos and trying to buy or recreate the effect and being sorely disappointed.

Anyway, these are super cool.

3 Likes

They are.
That’s why I’m kind of annoyed that the first comment was seemingly discounting how cool they are.

In our current world of insta and cell phones and what have you, the magic certainly “shows” in broad daylight.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.