Lead ammunition is poisoning bald eagles

Originally published at: Lead ammunition is poisoning bald eagles | Boing Boing

8 Likes

How can it be possible that 'Murica is plagued by internal contradictions?

16 Likes

I have it on good authority that windmills kill more bald eagles every year than guns do… /s

18 Likes

I know here it’s not legal to hunt migratory birds with lead ammunition, so it is possible to ban it (at least in Canada, the US is unhinged when it comes to their rooty-tooty-point-n-shooties). They really should ban lead in hunting ammunition generally, it’s awful we’re putting so much of that toxic metal into the environment so people can get their trophies and meat.

21 Likes

Agreed, 100% ban in hunting ammunition makes sense. I would add that tommy gun ammunition should retain lead, though, for the sake of villains in Dick Tracy comics.
Dick Tracy Screenshots for Genesis - MobyGames
“Eat copper, copper” just doesn’t work.

11 Likes

And that’s not even counting the ones who fly into solar panels.

12 Likes

Thousands I hear…

8 Likes

Tens of millions, but they cover up most of them.

8 Likes

Such a tragedy, as there were millions upon millions of bald eagles, until Big Green Energy destroyed the landscape and obliterated these majestic creatures…

9 Likes

They flew in flocks so large that they darkened the sky for days on end, but Big Solar poisoned them with lead because of the cost of cleaning off the panels.

10 Likes

Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

But we’ll never forget…

11 Likes
11 Likes

So noble, so majestic.

12 Likes

bald eagles get tangled more often than you might think.

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Benjamin Franklin was correct… we should have had a turkey as our national bird…

13 Likes

oh, that turkey gif perfectly captures the “spirit of 'murica”. also has me LoL’ing for several minutes now!

to the topic - didn’t California ban, or attempt to ban lead shot for hunting?
i seem to remember also, an effort to stop using lead sinkers for fishing in Washington state, but it has been many decades since i lived there. you got anything on that @DukeTrout ?

12 Likes

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

Unsure, but it sounds like something they would have done…

6 Likes

Yep. Looks like it went into effect in 2019: Nonlead Ammunition in California

Man, I remember “ok, slide the wire into this slot, then bite down on this chunk of lead”. Probably you don’t get much lead from that compared to the environmental contamination, but what a terrible idea.

9 Likes

Who would have thought that lead in the environment would have a toxic effect like DDT did, which is one of the things that lead to bald eagles becoming endangered in the first place.

Now if there was only some way the people of Flint, MI, and other cities in the U.S. could get the lead out of their drinking water…

7 Likes

That’s true and has been for decades.

The actual amount of lead from HUNTING bullets into the environment is minuscule. The problem, as the article pointed out, is specific scenario of gut piles which may have trace bits of lead in them being scavenged by eagles or other animals. (Mostly coyotes around here.)

Hunters who oppose giving up lead may do so because they’re loyal to their preferred ammunition, or because the cost of lead remains lower than non-toxic alternatives, such as copper.

That paradigm might be changing, as mono-metal bullet technology has really increased over the years, and they are producing bullets that are more uniformly shaped, meaning better accuracy, and with reliable expansion. They will continue to be more expensive that lead/copper bullets,but performance wise they may be the clear winner for some rounds.

CA has a ban on lead bullets and shot for all hunting. Several states have some additional limits beyond the federal waterfowl lead-free law. Most of them are lead-free shot for more than just water fowl birds. Some of them have restrictions based on location, such as state owned land and conservation areas.There are non-lead bullet restrictions at some (if not all) National Parks as well.

Fun fact - the local lake I grew up near never had Bald Eagles when I was a kid, but there are some in the area now. I saw two of them last year!

ETA:

I remember that! They looked like little pac mans with wings on the back.

4 Likes

I may have worded that poorly, but the problem is that lead is concentrated in sources of food for other animals which causes them to be contaminated. So yes, the amount of total lead in the greater environment is not large, but the effects on the food environment for local wildlife are. The effects of using lead for hunting therefore have an outsized effect on the environment of living creatures.

11 Likes