Washington man pleads guilty to "killing spree" of bald eagles for profit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/20/washington-man-pleads-guilty-to-killing-spree-of-bald-eagles-for-profit.html

9 Likes

This guy has a bright future once he gets out. A lot of multi-national corporations are looking for people with no moral code and the drive to succeed!
“Will kill for profit” is a plus in many business enterprises, legal and otherwise.

2 Likes

He killed 3,600 protected eagles and he might get 13 years in prison?

14 Likes

So, he’s in court, being lightly sentenced, and the judge says to him, “So I understand you ate some of the bald eagles?”

“Yes, your honor.”

“I’m curious, since I’ll never do that, what do they taste like?”

“Pretty good. Somewhere between Spotted Owl and California Condor.”

10 Likes

God damn - fuck this guy.

Also, WTF are these people doing with the feathers?

3 Likes

The same thing they are doing with white sage, quartz crystals, and “picking rocks up and stacking them on top of each other in the woods”… White people shit for Instagram.

8 Likes

I figured some of it would be white people smudging and new age stuff.

But anyone into that should understand that unethically sourced feathers are counter productive for smudging etc.

3 Likes

I heard that harvesting the sage has a poor environmental impact, and also there exists back lash for f-ing with stones and removing them from their spots, taking sand from beaches you visit etc. etc… That cannot stop the click-lust for some people.

Or conversely… “look at my new crown made from (insert your brand of sacred) feathers of thee golden eagle”!

Me - “you have lice now, leave nature be”.

3 Likes

Not that this makes anything better.

4 Likes

Specifically:

(Added emphasis.) Not to lighten the damage he did, of course. However many and whatever type of other birds he killed, this is messed up all around.

6 Likes

Your (legally obtained) soda of choice is in the mail.

4 Likes
1 Like

Fly-tying for fishing flies in some cases. There are a lot of “no bueno” items that make nifty shiny colorful flies. Feathers, exotic fur, etc.

I imagine hats, too, along with cosplay native headbands, etc.

3 Likes

Man, that seems a lot of risk when there are a bunch of other feathers, like turkey feathers, you could use and not face federal prosecution if found out.

3 Likes

This American Life had a fascinating episode about this. The fly-tying world is wild. Many people do it just for the art, not the fish.

2 Likes

Hrm another esoteric subject to learn about. There is a fly fishing store just down the road from me, been there forever (a bit odd, as Kansas isn’t a hot spot for it). I agree they are pretty to look at, and I get people collect them. Fly fishing itself is kinda a PITA compared to bobbers or spinner baits.

Still - don’t use protected bird feathers. I don’t understand why take the risk. If you happen to find one that fell out in the wild, I personally don’t have a problem with that, but for gods sake, don’t support illicit trade where people are killing them.

3 Likes

I know what you mean. I would much rather have the birds.

3 Likes

Thirteen years per bird would be good.

3 Likes

This guy is the new symbol of the symbol of The United States replacing the American Eagle

I remember seeing people fly fishing in the Kaw River when I was growing up in Lawrence. Don’t know if they ever caught anything, though.

1 Like