Leech smuggler busted at Toronto airport

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/25/leech-smuggler-busted-at-toron.html

4 Likes

Authorities became suspicious after noticing the passenger appeared both anemic and 50 pounds lighter at the end of the flight than when he boarded the plane.

15 Likes

I do not get it.

It is Canada. You can buy leeches from bait shops for walleye fishing. It is like 3 bucks a dozen or something. Does he not know?

4 Likes

It was for the local production of Stand By Me.

12 Likes

Sounds like these were specific ones for medical use.

7 Likes

Is that Wil Wheaton?

3 Likes

Who knew? There are indeed specific medicinal species.

Interestingly, leech water is actually great fertilizer:

https://www.leech.com/pages/using-leeches-to-make-compost-leech-compost-tea

So the availability of non-medicinal breeds is probably the evidence against his claim. Unless that guy has, like, several large greenhouses worth of orchids.

7 Likes

yes, one of his first big roles in Stand By Me, which was based on a Stephen King story called the body. It’s a great movie and has River Phoenix in it, too…

11 Likes

Go to an inland lake in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Plenty of leeches for everyone. No shortage of ticks and mosquitoes too.

5 Likes

Photo of his customer at left:

[yes, I know leeches have legit modern medical uses. So sue me.]

7 Likes

Delicious!

LP too. First leech I ever found on me was near fife lake.

2 Likes

What slime! I am glad they caught this blood-sucking parasite on humanity. Sheesh! What a leech.

6 Likes

Roger Stone’s going to have to find another route, I guess.

7 Likes

If these leeches are endangered then why wouldn’t they be trying to return them to their natural habitat? Maybe the deportation process for leeches would exceed their lifespan?

1 Like
5 Likes

tng-wil-wheaton-whatever-dude

Also, cool whhhip…

9 Likes

Was never a fan of BBT…but this exchange/running gag on the show is pretty damn awesome…

10 Likes

I never knew leeches were active swimmers till I lived in the UP. I always thought they hung out in the mud, or stayed attached to a log or something.

1 Like

Speaking of… start here and go through to Nov. 30th… It involves Wil Wheaton.