Leftover ramen harming mountain ecosystem

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/02/leftover-ramen-harming-mountain-ecosystem.html

7 Likes

Food waste left along hiking trails is often a big deal because it doesn’t break down the way people think it will (even something as seemingly innocuous as a banana peel), but I hadn’t even considered the issue of salt. I greatly underestimate how much salt is in instant ramen (something I haven’t eaten since college), apparently.

7 Likes

Food waste and general trash…

“You were strong enough to carry that [food/drink container] up the fucking mountain when it was full; now you’re too weak to carry it back down again when it’s empty? What is wrong with you?”

14 Likes

Then send me to Korea cause this stupid American always drinks their broth :grimacing:
(i pack out too :grin:)

12 Likes

Instant ramen’s gonna get you
Going to look you right in the face
You better get yourself together
Come and join the human race

8 Likes

I suppose it makes it difficult for plants too.

Alluring Crows and Weasels – album name.

5 Likes

I can kind of understand that part with food waste, at least - the food went up the trail in a neat, packaged form (especially ramen), but to take it down would require some additional packaging that no one thinks ahead to carry. (Because it’s not trash, it’s food - it’s biodegradable!)

So are the people who do the littering.

4 Likes

One request? Hikers should make their ramen with half the amount of liquid.

You might as well take a couple of broth cubes and suck on those…
I mean I thought the point of ramen was to drink the broth…but I guess if you don’t it explains why you can have it so salty and not any serious health issues from it.

Don’t even.

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/04/cup-noodles-smores-ramen-walmart

Cup Noodles adds new s’mores ramen for summer

2 Likes

2 Likes

Me, neither.
These tourists are literally salting the earth.
Seems like the tourist bureau could come up with some pretty cool medieval PSAs for this issue.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.