Instant ramen recalled for being too spicy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/12/instant-ramen-recalled-for-being-too-spicy.html

9 Likes

Literally, too hot for them to handle.

28 Likes

It’s kind of endearing when Scandinavian countries really lean into their stereotypes.

26 Likes

I only use part of the spice packet in my ramen. (The rest goes into chicken noodle soup a pinch at a time.)

22 Likes

The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration

That’s an odd combination.

18 Likes

Denmark. If they are anything like Swedes, that explains it. “Two shakes of pepper! Oh God! Way too hot!!” :grin:

18 Likes

Which is odd, given how much pepper it takes to make Swede palatable.

16 Likes

I see you also have experience cooking for my aunts.

15 Likes

Watch out he’s got paprika too! Dangerous stuff in the wrong hands.

13 Likes

My favorite extra-spicy ramen is Nongshim Shin Black Ramen. How hot is it? I can handle hot Chinese mustard by the spoonful, nice mellow heat – drains the sinuses real neat. But Shin Black is my heat limit w/o needing to have milk at the ready. A couple of work cubicles over is one of our resident young nerdy geniuses who, as it happens, digs funk band Parliament (in all its incarnations) to the point of obsession. Being very aware of his other obsession – super spicy food – I offered him one of my desk-stashed Shin Black ramen soups for lunch. He tried it. I watched him. Nothing. He pulled out a bottle of hot sauce and added a bunch of that into the ramen. I was simultaneously impressed and insulted. No more free Shin Black for him. And next time he yet again runs up to me with another Parliament CD (“You have to listen to this!”) I’m gonna tell him to take a hike.

21 Likes

That loops back to the Guinea Pig as food topic.

11 Likes

My mom is like that; no tolerance for spicy foods at all.

Meanwhile, I can go up to about 850,000 Scoville with no discomfort.

24 Likes

We are a quarter Swedish, and my brother got all the Swedish genes. He visited Sweden on a business trip and told me that story about 2 twists of pepper. “Truly I have found my people!”

20 Likes

How much do you use and what do you use it on?

6 Likes

i really like that Shin Black, too! good base of spicy, but i add fish sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil and thin sliced Thai chilies to it, with some Thai basil leaves for the aromatics. yes, that combo is blazing!

also, “capsaicin poisoning”??? i call bullshit.

17 Likes

I’ll have to try that combo. I only have SB once every couple of weeks… all that sodium. No blood pressure issue here, and I want to keep it that way.

6 Likes

It depends.

In ramen, on tacos, chicken, in burritos, occasionally on eggs, and whenever cooking dishes that need some kick…

Fear isn’t the only brand I use, just a fav.

My bf really got into Hot Ones, and has a collection of their hot sauces, including “the Bomb” (just for novelty, it tastes awful.)

He gifted me all his duplicates, so I have quite the assortment myself.

12 Likes

When we moved to France, we brought the dog. I had to get our vet to sign off on a dossier prepared by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

10 Likes

I had some of that. It was, indeed, hella spicy.
I couldn’t eat it. And I LOVE spicy food.
This was gimmicky and painful.

5 Likes

Your bf sounds a lot like my work colleague. (Wondering now if your bf loves Parliament. :thinking:)

6 Likes