Legendary surf rock guitarist Dick Dale, RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/17/legendary-surf-rock-guitarist.html

6 Likes

Damnit!!!

3 Likes
9 Likes

Saw him many a time at the Belly Up in Solana Beach, Ca. back in the 80’s, never a disappointment, ever. Shred on good Sir…

13 Likes
7 Likes

wipeout. :slightly_frowning_face:

11 Likes

Pulp Fiction was my introduction to this guy, definitely sad to hear he’s passed.

4 Likes

I had the luck and pleasure to see him live twice. He was an excellent showman and was genuinely appreciative of his fans.

My video link from the dead celebrity thread.

3 Likes
10 Likes
11 Likes

I guess he only seemed indestructible. Saw him a few years ago and it was good to see somebody my parent’s age still rocking. I would drink in his honor, but since he was a teetotaler, that would be inappropriate. Still a life lived fully 'till the end.

9 Likes

Just because he was a teetotaler doesn’t mean he wouldn’t mind a good salute, so let’s bend one in his memory.

4 Likes

That was a great video. Thanks!

it’s being pointed out on the twitters that he still toured because he needed the health insurance coverage, so yay america, i guess.

he was a god deigning to stroll among mere mortals.

13 Likes

I only got to see him live once, but he was fantastic. As I recall, he went through picks something furious. Truly an amazing guitarist.

2 Likes

Note the left-handed guitar strung upside down.

3 Likes

John Peel was my introduction, I was too young to see Pulp Fiction when it came out in the UK.

ETA:

I can’t find the second or fifth Peel sessions, sorry.

4 Likes

He kept touring because the insurance didn’t cover everything he needed.

He told Billboard magazine that he had health insurance, covering bills for diabetes, post-cancer treatment and other debilitating conditions, but that insurers refused to cover the replenishment of supplies he required to keep his stoma free from infection.

5 Likes

Cripes. My mother has a stoma and she was housebound for the first couple of weeks. Now she goes on short trips into town or to the doctor. No way is she embarking on international music tours, in her late 70s, and in her condition.

5 Likes

Well at least we got 80+ years with him.

3 Likes