Lego orrery with the Sun, the Earth and the Moon

Originally published at: Lego orrery with the Sun, the Earth and the Moon | Boing Boing

6 Likes

very very cute so now will lego do led spot lights
to act as the maker of suns shadow maker… and represent in the slow-mo… macro pan…

1 Like

Another one here with all of the planets: LEGO IDEAS - Clockwork Solar System

2 Likes

gratuitous etymology:

orrery (n.)
a model solar-system machinery constructed to represent the motions of the planets in their orbits, 1713, invented c. 1704 by English clockmaker George Graham (1673-1751) and constructed by instrument maker John Rowley. Graham gave a copy to his patron, Charles Boyle (1674-1731), 4th Earl of Orrery (Cork) and named it in his honor.

(let’see… if separation scale was to be preserved, a moon/earth distance of 5cm would require an earth/sun distance of 20meters …get out the big lego bin for that?)

3 Likes

Youtube link for bbs (and fellow air.tv haters):

2 Likes

Wow, that is gorgeous! I’m usually not a fan of “display” LEGO kits as they just get dusty and gross, but I really hope that one gets released.

1 Like

The music from Kerbal Space Program paired with this makes me so happy. It just fills my perfect nerd niche.

1 Like

It’s missing the lecturing philosopher.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.