Lego to sell its braille bricks in stores

Originally published at: Lego to sell its braille bricks in stores | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Cool, this is a Wonderful Thing™

15 Likes

Oh, awesome. This makes me so happy.

11 Likes

image (Ouch!)

8 Likes

This is obviously not the primary point of the exercise; but I have to wonder how the strength varies vs. the standard 8 stud blocks with the various deletion patterns implied by the various braille characters.

2 Likes

Nicely done, Lego.

5 Likes

I recognize this might sound hyperbolic, but sincerely: if there’s one engineering organization I trust implicitly, it’s Lego.

16 Likes

How do I know you’re not just one of their talking heads? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

I truly forgot what my avatar was when I made that comment. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Again, close the comments.

4 Likes

i see what you did there doctor who GIF

3 Likes

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

@PPK

2 Likes

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen from Lego in a while.

I’m a little disappointed in the price. The launch price is set to be $89.99 in the US, for a 287 piece set. This is way above the long-held ballpark pricing heuristic of 10 cents per piece – more like 30 cents.

On the other hand, this is pretty in line with the higher pricing of their educational “lab kit” sets, which usually come with extensive teaching and lab materials. If they’re marketing primarily to the classroom then maybe this is a reasonable price. Also, there’s certainly a bit of a startup cost for making a set where just about every piece needs a novel mold.

I’d be interested to see what the disabled community makes of this. I’m not visually impaired so I don’t know what it’s like to learn Braille; is the chunkier Lego configuration potentially helpful for learning? (Also, where does Braille stand in the community these days? Last I heard it was a bit getting pushed to the margins, but again I’m not part of the community so I can’t really say.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.