Lego bricks are a better investment than gold bricks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/lego-bricks-are-a-better-inves.html

2 Likes

In my sample period from circa 1500BCE to 2015, gold was found to hold value as a medium of exchange.

5 Likes

They’re probably harder, too.

11 Likes

Another great investment within plastic objects are twisty puzzles. Here are two examples:

Hungarian Dogic, which was available in 1993 for $40.00 USD, recently sold for upwards of $1000.00 USD on eBay. Some sample sales at the bottom of this page: https://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=643

Astrolabacus, which was available in 2001 for $14.99 USD, recently sold for more than $500.00 USD. Some sample sales at the bottom of this page: https://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=825

2 Likes

I used to have numerous original Space sets that I bought or was given in the early 70s. But like a dumbass kid, I played with them. Not even thinking about the future. Ironically.

7 Likes

This makes me feel a little better about my weekend splurge. I also rationalized that it was something I could do with the kiddo. The down side is - now I have to wait for her to come over and build it. The books is literally 3/4" thick.

I just found out they are making a NEW, smaller Slave I for Lego Star War’s 20th Anniversary.

4 Likes

*Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

4 Likes

Listen carefully and ypu can hear the sound of millions of collectors emailing this story to their significant others.

9 Likes

Man, My tulips and beanie babies are going to rebound any day now!

9 Likes

I must send this article to all the gold bugs I encounter from now on. Which I am sure will have no impact on their attitudes towards gold whatsoever.

3 Likes

Interesting it makes a lot sense to me. but I I don’t imagine lego is as easily liquidated as gold, would take more space to store and you would need extra security measures in case toddlers or mangeekchildren got wind of your stockpile and planned a heist. all being said though I wish I had invested my lifes savings in lego instead of Lincoln Logs.

5 Likes

I purchased the Lego UCS Star Destroyer set just as it was ending it’s run for $399.99. So about $435 with tax. That was in May of 2014. I sold the set in May of 2018 for $650. That was used (I put it together and took it apart). Had I never opened I suspect it would have gone for about $100 to $150 more but I feel the smaller sale price was worth being able to put the set together. So, I made a profit of 50% in 4 years. Had I been smart, I would have bought 10 of those sets and that would have fully funded my Millennium Falcon purchase and then some. But, just like with stocks, hind site it 20/20.

4 Likes

Oh yeah?! But what are you going to do when civilization collapses, man, eat your Lego bricks?

Oh, wait.

2 Likes

Wait… the original study was from Russia’s Higher School of Economics? How come I’m seeing this study as fake propaganda coming out of Russia, trying to get the West to sell all their gold and invest in Legos? I can see what they must be thinking… gold prices drop, Lego prices skyrocket, while Russia is buying up all the gold. The investors sober up, then realize what happened: They’re stuck with a bunch of worthless plastic.

Yep, just might work.

1 Like

Snerk.

Lego in our house is immediately siezed upon by the 9 year old, who will not eat nor even open any additional presents until he has built and displayed the complete set. We have learned to give him the Lego present last.

I wonder what the market value of my cubic meter of entropied lego pieces in a giant bucket might be?

2 Likes

why not both?

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.