Burglars bust through toy store wall to steal Lego sets

Originally published at: Burglars bust through toy store wall to steal Lego sets | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“For Master Thieves, Legos Are the New Uncut Diamonds”

14 Likes

Like cars, lego pieces are worth more than kit itself when sold separately (unless it’s a discontinued set). It’ll probably make it harder to trace if box is discarded?

6 Likes

The instruction books are online. Leaving the boxes and books behind also leaves the set’s serial number behind. An unwitting buyer of these stolen goods may not be able to purchase certain replacement parts.

[Why, yes, Jr. Kidd has too many Lego sets. Why do you ask?]

17 Likes

oops, this is covered in post above.

2 Likes

Serial number? It has been a while since I bought a Lego set.

I didn’t know that they had started serializing the sets.

I didn’t notice, either, until I tried to get replacement infinity stones for Thanos’ gauntlet. Couldn’t even access the pieces without the serial number.

10 Likes

Especially if they contain rare minifigs.

5 Likes

Really? I guess I need to start keeping the serial numbers

3 Likes

It’s plastic gold. Plastic, parental foot-destroying gold.

12 Likes

Do the cops have enough to build a case?

27 Likes

"I got one word for you, Kid… Legos"

11 Likes

Doesn´t suprise me.
Has anybody been to a Lego store lately? Some sets are in the upper three figure range.

1 Like

Maybe it is certain sets? I don’t recall a serial number when my Boba Fett Helmet lego set was missing a piece. The model number was needed, though.

2 Likes

Being cops, the only limit is their imagination.

12 Likes

It is definitely for certain sets due to certain pieces. There probably aren’t any super special pieces in your helmet set that would have ridiculous after-market sales potential. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

That make sense. No, nothing unique in that one. I don’t think anything unique in the large Slave I set either, other than maybe the minifig?

3 Likes

"Just try and take muh Legos!"

(too obscure?)

3 Likes

Maybe the police should fight fire with fire and start using Lego spike strips…

5 Likes

Wanted for questioning

10 Likes