Let mysterious Morris dancers take you elsewhere in this bizarre music video

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Wow, acid flashbacks, need more coffee stat.

3 Likes

Haha nice! As if Morris dancers weren’t weird enough on their own.

6 Likes

What part was weird?

6 Likes

Good stuff!

1 Like

It’s good but it’s no Safety Dance.

6 Likes

Flashbacks to Nickelodeon and Children Of The Stones.

4 Likes

Turville, Buckinghamshire, which is where they filmed The Vicar of Dibley, Went the Day Well and some of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

6 Likes

That was really cool.

I’m wondering if the dancers had to learn a new dance pattern made up of traditional moves, or if the song was constructed around the rhythm of the dance?

2 Likes

The Morris dance is common to all inhabited worlds in the multiverse.

It is danced under blue skies to celebrate the quickening of the soil and under bare stars because it’s springtime and with any luck the carbon dioxide will unfreeze again. The imperative is felt by deep-sea beings who have never seen the sun and urban humans whose only connection with the cycles of nature is that their Volvo once ran over a sheep.

It is danced innocently by raggedy-bearded young mathematicians to an inexpert accordion rendering of “Mrs Widgery’s Lodger” and ruthlessly by such as the Ninja Morris Men of New Ankh, who can do strange and terrible things with a simple handkerchief and a bell.

And it is never danced properly.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that video was filmed just outside Scarfolk…

3 Likes

I got chills and I haven’t even played the video.

And I’m not going to.

1 Like

found it

this was pretty good! never saw it on Nick, just endless Black Beauty re-runs and Tomorrow People. kind of put me in the mind of those old Susan Cooper books I was talking about recently.

4 Likes
1 Like

#quickening

Wait. I’ve forgotten what we’re talking about.

1 Like

Q: How did it get burned?

#A: BEES

1 Like

Let’s not forget that face recognition software doesn’t work on Morris dancers

2 Likes

I’m an anglophile, I’ve hung out in Wales (wonderful country, going back), but there are two things I can’t stand.

The Archers and Morris dancing.

A lot of it looks like traditional moves, and as long as the song’s got a fairly regular rhythm, it should be easy enough to build the dance around it. (Some parts aren’t quite traditional, like all of them dancing out of that ancient red structure that I think was once known as a “phone booth”. More seriously, I haven’t seem Morris dancers do backflips, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d find a way to work it in if they could.)

One thing that makes it easier for them is that it’s pretty common for a Morris dance to have most of the dancers doing a figure (like the two lines of four dancers they used a lot) and then one or two others doing a “clown” function dancing in or around them or running out to the audience waving rubber chickens or whatever. The figure with the horse head and the cow skull on a stick are the kinds of things you might traditionally have. I haven’t seen the figures dancing in the straw costumes before, but they feel quite appropriate for a fall “John Barleycorn” thing (though not really for May Day.)