"Let’s make it violence": Listen to The Atlantic's Kevin Williamson explain why women who have abortions should be hanged

Could have sworn that was a picture of Harvey Weinstein.

4 Likes

There shall be no purchases of The Atlantic by me until this devil is purged. Life is too short. And evil is notoriously contagious.

8 Likes

They are an evil born of abundance and security. I am certain Williamson has never gone to bed hungry or spent the day afraid of losing everything.

11 Likes

I’ve asked this question of many “pro-life” folks, but I can never get a satisfying answer.

Premise: Fetuses are babies.
Premise: Abortion is therefore murder.

So, let’s proceed from there, right? If fetuses are babies and abortion is murder, then what should we do to a woman who hires a hitman (doctor) to murder her baby (fetus)?

Shouldn’t she get life in prison at minimum, or even the death penalty (most “pro-life” folks seem to really, unironically like the death penalty).

4 Likes

If there female family members he loves, chances are at least one them has aborted an unplanned unwanted pregnancy but never speaks of it. I wonder how he’d feel about hangin his mom, sister, aunt, cousin, grandmother, nanny, 1st grade teacher, next door neighbor. . .

Fucking idiot.

5 Likes

“They weren’t ever true christians. They were/are controlled by demons and are evil.”

2 Likes

Christian Bale maybe.

3 Likes

Good point.

“Kevin Williamson” is an anagram of “Manikin Lowlives”

13 Likes

Appearantly, violence works. I hope he receives some himself.

1 Like

There are no women that he loves. Men like this consider women to be appliances, not people. Family members too.

18 Likes

While he’s undeniably a total flaming asshole, he’s also right about execution equaling violence. State-sponsored killing should be as gruesome as possible, and broadcast live on prime-time TV.

4 Likes

If life begins at conception then 70% of all the people who ever lived were, and are, aborted by the Intelligent Designer before birth. 50% before they even constitute a pregnancy.

14 Likes

In some jurisdictions it would be a distinct crime of infanticide. The US doesn’t have that but a proposed change in 2009 would have introduced it and the maximum penalty for that would be two years. Absent a separate charge of infanticide, it is, indeed, murder and consistency does rather demand that if you are pro-life that you view it as such. In a way, Kevin Williamson is just being consistent.

He’s being consistent with his terrible, terrible incorrect beliefs of course, but there you go. Consistent doesn’t mean ‘right.’

4 Likes

There’s a good chance he would shrug it off without missing a beat, because he doesn’t see any connection between his words and real life.

It’s critical to remember that most hateful speech comes from people who are too hateful, and not bright enough, to have any experience of their words being taken seriously. We all have uncles who say drug dealers should be executed without trial (etc), but the only reason they go to these bonkers extremes is that they expect to be ignored. It’s arguably a betrayal to do otherwise.

Giving this asshole an influential platform is sort of like if you suddenly lined up a bunch of real, non-TV drug dealers in front of your uncle and handed him an Uzi. Your uncle probably wouldn’t want to pull the trigger, and he’d be desperate to find a way to walk it back with his dignity intact. But one or two uncles would turn out to be genuine monsters, and others would react dangerously to the pressure, and the moral is “don’t treat ridiculous persons as credible, FFS, because it’s stupid and dangerous”.

11 Likes

And that right there is the goddamn truth.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that expressed before but can’t remember who said it. The thought process being something along the lines of, bring back the firing squad so at least we’re being honest about what we’re doing: murdering people.

2 Likes

Wonderful just we need another megaphone for fruitcakes. Wonder what sort of atrocities his followers will carry out.

2 Likes

History suggests that this is likely to have the reverse of the effect you’re after. Execution-as-spectacle was usually a very popular entertainment.

21 Likes

Maybe he’s also into the Saudis fondness for cutting off the hands of thieves, or how the Taliban stoned people to death in the soccer stadium.

2 Likes